Kirk Ensign

Hello everyone. I would like to first say thank you all for having me and please feel free to give me any advice on how I can make my posts better so that all can enjoy. Several years back I started finding literally tons of fossils in my back yard which was the catalyst to my newfound interest. Having said that, the only ones I have been able to identify myself were the dozens and dozens of ammonites, most of which I used in my 9ft, mostly fossil, backyard fireplace which came out amazingly. I would like to start by trying to have this little guy identified if at all possible. I first thought it to be petrified wood but the more I research the more I doubt that idea. I live in North Texas directly on the wise county & denton county boundary.  Again, thank you all for accepting me in this circle and I hope to learn as much as I can as I am deeply interested in this subject but horribly uninformed. 

C5E275EE-5D79-46D1-B805-5C3C145C7F67.jpeg

D9A4DCF1-63D5-4D20-95FB-077C755F8CD5.jpeg

3B6226FC-9A2A-47A6-8654-B051020C3DE4.jpeg

77A8D311-3FFA-4421-BDED-B66C480EF854.jpeg

F03DA212-AE49-4895-B981-F85CAD4DDC6C.jpeg

Looks more like bone than wood to me, but I'll let the bone experts make the decision. I'm a plant guy and it don't look like plant to me.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Welcome to the Forum Kirk.

It has the slight look of a piece of fossil wood. Can you see any areas of obvious growth rings or rays? We may need to see better up close photos. 

Also, show us a picture of your fireplace with fossils. What formation are they from?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thank you DPS, will get you some better pics shortly. In the meantime here are a few pics of the old fireplace. It was one of my first projects several years ago so I would do things differently today. Having said that, I’m happy how it came out and enjoy it almost nightly...

DB1EAE98-0D3C-4848-BB01-8260C6082B1F.png

DC96947A-A6E1-4913-A0D7-6DC19A21E357.png

And I’m far from an expert, I’m barely an amateur, but I think it’s a mix of shale and limestone. I’m sure you can tell me far better 

The ammonite fossils look like those from the Cretaceous Duck Creek Formation: Mortoniceras and Eopachydiscus. Do you think that someone brought them to your yard or did they come from the limestone in your yard? See this map to let us know what formation your yard is in: https://txpub.usgs.gov/txgeology/

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here are a fewer close up shots. Again, can’t say enough how thankful I am to have found this forum. I appreciate you guys taking interest and helping out. It means a lot to me

D539A675-DB65-4BE1-B0F1-EC0CD0B3C6A9.png

3A31D20F-1187-448A-A41A-2D12EE9D0122.png

Not sure if this helps at all, still trying to figure it out, my apologies in advance 

Wow, thank you so much for that nap, it’s amazing! Clicked right on my house and it shows as the following. “limestone and duck creek formation undivided”. Cretaceous. Comanchean and Washita group. And it’s definitely native. It’s impossible to walk anywhere in this area without tripping over ammonite specifically. 

Was repairing a fence this weekend and found 3 more. It blows my mind how much rock is here and everything I pull up looks intriguing to me. I usually take about 5 times as long as I should to complete a task because I keep pulling stuff up, cleaning it up and looking at it. But it makes my day 

I also pulled up a GIANT piece of petrified wood dripping in druzy quarts recently. Had no clue about the druzy quarts until I started looking into it as it looked so much differently than any petrified wood I have found before. Once it was cleaned it’s absolutely gorgeous