What in the world is this thing?

aprylshowers

Hey!  I need help identifying this... fossil?  A friend of a friend found it while roof bolting in a coal mines in Southern Illinois.  I am stumped and google has come up with nothing helpful.  I'm hoping that someone here can help me figure out what this is.  This is the only photo I have of it but will ask if he can get a few more with better lighting and stuff. He says it feels like bone but isn't sure.  Would appreciate any help you can give!  Thanks

67060122_2580826325280929_4989837041068933120_n.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Those look somewhat like brachiopods, but I doubt they would end up in a coal swamp.  It's possible that they are seed pods of some sort.

Perhaps a dentition from Orodus sp.

( shellfish eating - Carboniferous Period ) shark.

• I found this Informative 11

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Not crinoids. Not seed pods. They do look similar to Orodus teeth.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hi,

I agree with shark teeth, but with this alignment it looks like a jaw part. If that turns out to be it would be an incredible and rare fossil !

Coco
  • I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Amazing find! Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

even though this is from a coal mine this has the appearance of a shale, so possible to be marine. 

Associated shark teeth are very rare.

44 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

even though this is from a coal mine this has the appearance of a shale, so possible to be marine. 

Associated shark teeth are very rare.

I agree, shale roof beds in coal mines are often marine and a good place to look for fish. :)

Coal Measures cyclothem from here: https://www.huddersfieldgeology.org.uk/local-geology/environments-of-deposition/

5d3ecee27c5f8_Screenshot2019-07-29at11_45_50.png.44cafa784bcc54643578b4cc45ca9890.png

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

This could be a scientifically important find.  :zzzzscratchchin:

Contacting a local museum might be a good idea. 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@aprylshowers, I am utterly stunned at this find. It's absolutely incredible, and incredibly beautiful. This is a section of a chondrichthyan jaw, and it is therefore very probably scientifically important.

Like the others, I would guess that it's Orodus sp. The taxonomy in this genus is rather frustrating due to missing type species and a lot of taxonomic revision, so it can be difficult to differentiate to species. Teeth from several other genera may resemble this species, however, so it's not a certain ID.

For your viewing pleasure, I have attached to the bottom of this post a picture of a chondrichthyan jaw from St. John & Worthen's 1875 publication. This particular jaw is assigned to the genus Agassizodus, but I'm not sure whether this genus is still considered valid today or not.

If you are interested in giving this specimen the scientific scrutiny it deserves, I would be happy to assist you or recommend someone to do so. I'm a graduate student in paleoichthyology, and I have access to the necessary resources to do so.

Thank you for sharing this on the forum! It's a great way to start the week. :)

image.png.412baefc9b74d6cee821d5dfa6a74ba1.png

• I found this Informative 15

If I were you, I would definately jump on this chance to have the piece scientifically studied. As you can see these things dont get found very often at all and the scientific community would benefit greatly if it was forwarded for study.

Please consider having your friend do this.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

2 hours ago, Elasmohunter said:

@aprylshowers, I am utterly stunned at this find. It's absolutely incredible, and incredibly beautiful. This is a section of a chondrichthyan jaw, and it is therefore very probably scientifically important.

Like the others, I would guess that it's Orodus sp. The taxonomy in this genus is rather frustrating due to missing type species and a lot of taxonomic revision, so it can be difficult to differentiate to species. Teeth from several other genera may resemble this species, however, so it's not a certain ID.

For your viewing pleasure, I have attached to the bottom of this post a picture of a chondrichthyan jaw from St. John & Worthen's 1875 publication. This particular jaw is assigned to the genus Agassizodus, but I'm not sure whether this genus is still considered valid today or not.

If you are interested in giving this specimen the scientific scrutiny it deserves, I would be happy to assist you or recommend someone to do so. I'm a graduate student in paleoichthyology, and I have access to the necessary resources to do so.

Thank you for sharing this on the forum! It's a great way to start the week. :)

image.png.412baefc9b74d6cee821d5dfa6a74ba1.png

Yep. This is a eugeneodont holocephalan (chimaera) for certain. Orodus has more bulbous teeth and the tooth rows are organized a little differently. 

I'll concur that this should end up in a research collection. The FMNH is the obvious place.

• I found this Informative 2

11 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

It looks like a group of crinoid stems to me but I'm not sure.

I was with you, but I believe we have been outvoted :heartylaugh:

Another example of rarity and the amateur community.... why the fossil forum is so important. Absolute congratulations.  WOW

• I found this Informative 1

It does look different than the Orodus  examples I have found online; it may be a new species. If so, they are sometimes named after the person who finds it -- hint, hint! It would be prudent to get it to a museum or university where it can be studied and described.

Mark.

FOTM !

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

23 hours ago, Coco said:

FOTM !

Coco

The forum member who posted it must get the friend of her friend who found it to join the forum for that to happen. @aprylshowers are you there? This is a scientifically significant find. 

Mark.

Thank you so much for all your responses!  I will definitely suggest to him to join!  Very exciting!

Hi,

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The forum member who posted it must get the friend of her friend who found it to join the forum for that to happen. @aprylshowers are you there? This is a scientifically significant find. 

Right ! :whistle:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Right ! :whistle:

Coco

Probably would qualify for fossil of the year!

Mark.