Fossil plant or animal?

nivek1969

Hello all. 
I haven't been active here for awhile, too much tragic events the past couple of months, unfortunately. 
Anyway, I have been helping my buddy out again, sorting through a huge collection of minerals and fossils that he purchased earlier this year. 
I went through a unopened box today and there were so many plant fossils, many are quite stunning! This piece I am not quite sure about. If it is plant the leaves were quite thick and dense. The gloss is wild looking, and I thought bone at first. Only about 1/4 of the fossils in this collection had labels on them and most had fallen off in the boxes and are all scrambled up. It's been a chore, but snarge fun regardless, as you can imagine. I need help on this one. 

Sorry some of the photos aren't focused well. I should have worn my glasses today! 

KP

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Kevin, I would go with a Neuropteris sp. fern.

Maybe if you can get the general ID on them you can match them up with the disengaged labels.

• I found this Informative 1

+1 Neuropteris.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 11:00 PM, caldigger said:

Kevin, I would go with a Neuropteris sp. fern.

Maybe if you can get the general ID on them you can match them up with the disengaged labels.

I have been finding more labels in boxes for pieces in other boxes! It's a large collection a friend and I acquired through an estate sale. Mostly minerals, but quite a few fossil pieces we are still digging through. I am about to post an image of an incredible fossil plate with all sorts of sea life and plant weirdness going on, to make sure I found the correct label. Thanks everyone for your input. I am still a novice. I know more about minerals to be honest. 

23 minutes ago, nivek1969 said:

I am still a novice. I know more about minerals to be honest. 

Oh good, then we'll put you down as our "go to" guy for mineral IDs. :thumbsu: