Dakotaraptor claw

Pterygotus

This is being sold as a dakotaraptor claw from the Hell Creek Formation of South Dakota. How does it look and could someone please tell me where on the dinosaur this claw belonged? It measures 7 by 4 by 15mm. Thanks in advance.

A9BFBA84-5ECD-4FE3-8C7F-6E06D525B0C3.jpeg

257242C1-E648-4EA1-A3EA-566D406D602F.jpeg

1CA50583-606C-4E58-8109-075D20DBF3A6.jpeg

C87E9287-E3E3-4039-9544-2D3A2F040B08.jpeg

4DDEFAD9-3237-4C98-8DCA-2F0FDB923B97.jpeg

Interesting Dakotaraptor, wow hope someone doesn't bite.   Good that you posted it, nice claw but its not even dinosaurian looks reptlian.

You should ask the seller how he identified it.

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

You should ask the seller how he identified it.

Like this :fingerscrossed:

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

It measures 7 by 4 by 15mm.

That would be about right for a Dakotasaurus that just hatched. Centimeters perhaps?

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

15 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

That would be about right for a Dakotasaurus that just hatched. Centimeters perhaps?

That size is the biggest clue its reptlian.  No to your point the morphology is all wrong.  Hatchling theropod material out of the HC is incredibly rare.

6 hours ago, Troodon said:
22 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

That size is the biggest clue its reptlian.  No to your point the morphology is all wrong.  Hatchling theropod material out of the HC is incredibly rare.

I was questioning the size in a facetious manner, by saying the size would about right for a very small one. Please explain the morphology of "7 by 4 by 15mm". How can dimensions have a morphology. I said the dimensions would be correct for a hatchling. I said nothing about morphology; the point of my reply was that the size, if correctly stated, is of itself an indicator that the claw is not Dakotaraptor. I've noticed that people on this forum frequently type "mm" when they meant "cm". I'm trying to establish if the stated dimensions are indeed correct.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I'm betting my money on turtle claw, based upon kem kem material I have for comparison.

On 29/07/2019 at 9:33 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

The seller had stated mm

I don't think it is turtle.  Turtle claws do not have such a deep blood groove and they are more  conical in shape and not so recurved.