Marine invertebrates maybe?

I_know_nothing

Hello everyone! 

I am back to ask for opinions again on an unusual find in north eastern indiana. 

It has a few different things going on and i will do my best to take decent pictures for you to see. 

First let me say the rock in its entirety is around 3 inch (76 mm) in length. 1 inch (25 mm) tall and 2.5 inches (63 mm) wide. 

The "teeth" are roughly 1/4 inch wide. 

15644134069318790249206907098639.jpg

Not my particular area of expertise but it looks to me like a cross section of a rugose (horn) coral. It would be an appropriate find for you location. I'm sure others more familiar with the fossils in your area will chime in with a more definitive assessment.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

The fossil with "teeth" is a solitary rugose coral ("horn coral") in cross section, probably up near the calyx (the part that was actually occupied by the living coral).  The "teeth" are the major and minor septa (longer and shorter respectively).  The second rock has a couple of different kinds of brachiopods.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

23 hours ago, Hope_Mcdonald said:

Thanks @FossilDAWG.  The pictures are all of the same rock. Different sides & angles. 

All sorts of marine impressions all over it. The coral is the most significant and identifiable fossil in this specimen.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!