Elasmohunter

Sometimes, when you go on a fossil hunt, you find more than just fossils.

Some friends and I traveled to southeastern Iowa in Spring '18 to scour the Mississippian for fossils, but while there, we noticed that many of the homes that we drove by sported geodes in their front yards. Intrigued, we decided to investigate for ourselves. As it turns out, the area is well-known for its geodes (Iowa's state rock is the geode), so we promptly decided that we had to collect some for ourselves. We eventually found a privately owned piece of property where we could fill a bucket with geodes for about $20, descended upon a stream cutting into the bedrock, and filled a bucket in short order. Then, on a return trip to Iowa a month later, we found another outcrop of geodes along the Mississippi River. Once again, we collected handfuls. Then, once we got back, we split them with a geode cracker. They varied in quality; some were stunningly beautiful, and others were less so. They were filled with all manner of minerals: some had chalcedony fillings; others had quartz crystals, and still others had minerals that I didn't recognize. The colors varied, too: pink, white, light blue, red, and brown.

As it turns out, we were a little overzealous in our efforts; we collected about 50 pounds of rocks. We've given them away to as many friends would like them and have only just now run out of them a year later. Pictured below is a fraction of the haul.

If you happen to find yourself in this neck of the woods, then remember: the Osagean of Iowa and Illinois has more than just crinoids. If you would like more information on them, where you can hunt for them, or even the annual Geode Fest, then check out this link. http://keokukiowatourism.org/geodes/index.php

image.png

image.png

• I found this Informative 4

Amazing geodes, I do agree that some of them look especially stunning. :)

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I keep telling people that Illinois, Indiana and Iowa are amazing, but no one ever believes me. The fossils in the "Tri-I-State" area are awe-inspiring.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I’ve loved geodes since I was a kid. Very nice haul, even if they are not fossils. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this information.:dinothumb:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thank you! It was a really fun trip, and the geodes were totally unexpected. It's always a pleasant surprise when a trip with a specific objective suddenly yields fruit in other ways, too, whether it's bonus collecting, stopping at cool places, or even experiencing the local culture.

18 hours ago, Elasmohunter said:

Thank you! It was a really fun trip, and the geodes were totally unexpected. It's always a pleasant surprise when a trip with a specific objective suddenly yields fruit in other ways, too, whether it's bonus collecting, stopping at cool places, or even experiencing the local culture.

Very nice finds. I like it when it works in reverse too, like the fishing trip that turns into a fossil trip.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!