GallinaPinta

So I went to this river thinking i was going to have a blast cannon balling into the deepest areas except I found an excellent specimen and spent the rest of my day collecting amazing fossils. 

1564420153_tmp_20190727_032438.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I believe this is a collection of shipworms, oysters, bivalves and rudists. And fossil corals. According to wikipedia the San Sebastian limestone preserves fossils dating back to the paleogene period 66 million years ago. I find it so bafflingly amazing to have my hands on million year old specimens. What do you guys think? 

1564420261_tmp_20190727_032701.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Those are some nice finds! I wish I knew more about the "younger" periods.

And, there is NOTHING like the feeling of realizing your eyes are the first human eyes to ever gaze upon a specimen in the entirety of history.

Nice work!

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

I see fragments of large oysters, some other bivalves, coral colonies, a gastropod steinkern. I am not sure about the shipworms.

46 minutes ago, GallinaPinta said:

rudists

Would you like to post individual pics of supposed rudists? They were already extinct during the Paleogene, but maybe you have also collected fossils from the Cretaceous or there are some reworked, older fossils in the Paleogene strata.

Franz Bernhard

Very nice finds! Congratulations!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 2 months later...
On 7/29/2019 at 2:06 PM, FranzBernhard said:

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

I see fragments of large oysters, some other bivalves, coral colonies, a gastropod steinkern. I am not sure about the shipworms.

Would you like to post individual pics of supposed rudists? They were already extinct during the Paleogene, but maybe you have also collected fossils from the Cretaceous or there are some reworked, older fossils in the Paleogene strata.

Franz Bernhard

I got told these could be rudists but I also got told they could be cassostrea. What do you think they could be? :DOH:

rsz_1img-20191023-wa0006.jpg