shark jaw id

jikohr

Hi everyone this is my first post so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong. I need some help identifying this shark jaw. I bought it packaged at a gift shop a long time ago so I don't know where it comes from and I don't think it was from that area. The upper jaw has 20 teeth on each side and the lower has 18. The last 5 or 6 teeth on the bottom don't seem to have a point. The edges don't have serrations and I don't see any cusps.

Thank you all for any help!

upper right.png

full jaw.png

3 hours ago, Darktooth said:

I agree with Eric that better pictures are needed but from what I can see the tooth morphology does look like an  Alopias pelagicus (Pelagic Thresher Shark) jaw.  The tooth count of this jaw is lower than my Alopias pelagicus jaws (My jaws have 22 or 23 upper teeth on each side of the symphysis and 20 lower teeth on each side of the symphysis with an additional two rows of small lower symphysial teeth in the lower jaw symphysis) but tooth count can vary (within a range) in most shark species.  I can't tell from the pictures if this jaw has lower symphysial teeth.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thanks for the help guys!

I googled pictures of Alopias pelagicus jaws and teeth and it matches up really nicely so I'm going to go with that. I genuinely appreciate the quick response time to! Sorry for the lousy pictures, I'll try and do better next time.