Tooth? Claw? Vertebra? Need help with ID

Kirk Ensign

This is another backyard find that I am having trouble identifying and any help would be much appreciated. It resembles a claw or tooth but I am probably wrong. I live in north Texas and my property is located along the Cretaceous Duck Creek Formation: Mortoniceras and Eopachydiscus (thanks to DPS ammonite for helping me identify the formation). Would love to hear from anyone who may know what it is. Thanks in advance. 

BE118DE1-F27F-4BDA-B7CE-10440AEEEB8F.jpeg

0E7509C3-99B9-4A85-AE6A-0EC898D70666.jpeg

3588DC2A-4F01-4157-B293-275B6B15F9BA.jpeg

43377F1A-02D2-4CDF-94CA-9CBBA860EE76.jpeg

EE54139D-2ED9-4D84-9304-EA006A59777F.jpeg

21 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Welcome to the forum, Kirk. 

Im afraid all I see here is a suggestively shaped rock. We’ll see what others say. 

I agree.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Gotcha. I was leaning that direction as well but wanted to check as it is a very odd snapped little fella. Thanks for your time Sir!

Thank you as well Darktooth! My apologies for any wasted time, still learning but all the posts are starting to help me hone in.

No time wasted if knowledge is transferred in the process. :)

Agreed that it is an oddly shaped rock. Unfortunately, no sign of a characteristic bone or enamel texture which would have then continued the thought process to determine what it could be. Instead, it's just another of Ma Nature's suggestively shaped items she leaves lying about to attract our attention. Sounds like your property is in a fossiliferous formation so we look forward to more quizzical items (possibly some of those ammonites). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Awesome!! This is all great feedback and is certainly helping me learn more. Can’t thank you all enough for just helping me become more educated! Here’s a few more small guys I pulled out of my fence line this week. Getting harder and harder to justify all the holes in my yard to my wife but it’s just too darn fun....

1742916D-4620-4670-8D9D-261F914E0E70.jpeg

D5112583-4075-4B4A-9D40-61D64A6DE2C2.jpeg

5E2BBFA7-067D-411D-8806-9E12138C88D1.jpeg

The last three pictures are all nautiloid (ammonite?) fragments. If you can find the formation these came from in an exposure nearby you will probably find some complete specimens. That way you won't have to dig holes in the yard.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Really? Okay! On it! I’ve found dozens but have really been wanting to find an intact, complete specimen as I really love the “sacred spiral” form to them and want one to properly display in my home. Thank you again! 

6 minutes ago, Kirk Ensign said:

Really? Okay! On it! I’ve found dozens but have really been wanting to find an intact, complete specimen as I really love the “sacred spiral” form to them and want one to properly display in my home. Thank you again! 

I don't know if you're into mathematics, but the spiral shape is based on a numerical sequence called a "fibonacci series" and the shape is known as a "golden spiral". Google it. It's also the basis for other organic growth features like the double spiral of sunflower seeds.

Mark.

Yes!! I’m infatuated with it an have been watching  a load of videos and lectures on the Fibonacci series as of late. It absolutely blows mind how it applies to everything from plant life, to animal life to the universe. It’s incredible how nature can work in such uniform, gorgeous ways.  Thanks for your time today Mark, much appreciated!

2 minutes ago, Kirk Ensign said:

Yes!! I’m infatuated with it an have been watching  a load of videos and lectures on the Fibonacci series as of late. It absolutely blows mind how it applies to everything from plant life, to animal life to the universe. It’s incredible how nature can work in such uniform, gorgeous ways.  Thanks for your time today Mark, much appreciated!

No sweat - I'm having fun. By the way, the rock you posted for ID is a petrified witch's nose. :D All kidding aside, there appears to be some fossil organic material in the second photo. A better shot of that may prove to be helpful. Better lighting (outdoors, but not direct sunlight), and better focus (anchor the camera to something solid). If you get close and it starts to get out-of-focus, back out til focused and shoot. Crop the excess and post.

Mark.

Hahaha, it just may be the ol’ witch’s nose! Man, thanks for those tips. Sitting her trying my very best to have the camera pick up what I’m seeing in person and not as easy as I would have suspected. Thanks again man, learning so much from you kind folks. It’s not often these days that people want to help for the sake of helping so I appreciate it

Better photos -- thank you. I don't see anything that I could definitely ID as fossil. There are a couple of suggestive areas but nothing that I can nail down as positive. Others may, I can't.

Mark.

Gotcha. That natural light sure makes a difference though. Thanks for the tips. I have plenty more I want to post and will def make sure I’m getting the best possible photos up first time around. 

I agree that it is a suggestive shaped rock. Wish I could find nautiloid fossils in my fence line and yard! :envy: Fingers crossed that you find a whole one! :fingerscrossed:

Get a dog if you don't have one. Blame it for the holes. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)