August 2019 - Finds of the Month Entries

digit

REMINDER: PLEASE carefully read ALL of the rules below.

Make sure you include all the required information, IN THE REQUESTED FORMAT (below) when you submit your fossil! 

If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM.

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: 

Before and After Preparation Photos must be submitted for prepped specimens NOT  found during the Month of the Contest.

In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds.

Entries will be taken until 11:59:00 PM EDT on AUGUST 31, 2019

Any fossil submitted after that time, even if the topic is still open, will be deemed ineligible! 

Only entries posted with CLEAR photos and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. 

Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. 

Tell us more about your fossil, and why you think it is worthy of the honor. 

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.

Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!
Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. Find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found personally by you are allowed. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.
  2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per member per contest category.)
  3. Your fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or Significant Preparation * of your fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.
  4. You must include the Date of Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Date of Discovery (if not found in the contest month).
  5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. Please make sure you arrange for photos if someone else is preparing your fossil find and completes the prep requirements in the contest month.
  6. You must include the Common and/or Scientific Name.
  7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the fossil was found.
  8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the fossil was found.
  9. You must include CLEAR, cropped, well-lit images (maximum 4 images). If you are proud enough of your fossil to submit it for FOTM, spend some time to take good photos to show off your fossil.
  10. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

* Significant Preparation = Substantial work to reveal and/or repair important diagnostic features, resulting in a dramatic change in the look of the fossil. The qualification of Significant Preparation is decided at the discretion of staff. Any doubts as to the eligibility of the entry will be discussed directly with the entrant.

******* Please use the following format for the required information: *******

Date of Discovery

Scientific and/or Common Name

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation

State, Province, or Region Found

Photos of Find

(Please limit to 4 clear, cropped, and well-lit images.)

(If prepped, before and after photos are required, please.)

I found this at compton bay, Isle of Wight, England on the first of August. It is a rib section and it's very likely to be from an Iguanodon or Mantellisaurus. The fossil measures 4 cm across. Compton bay is part of the Wessex formation.

Found: August 1, 2019

Location: Compton Bay, Isle of Wight, England. Wessex Formation.

Indeterminate bone section, (probably rib)

Early Cretaceous

IMG_2627.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

• I found this Informative 12

This time I will begin with invertebrates because I found many interesting mollusk remains in Klaipeda district (Western Lithuania). 

The two cephalopod shells will be shown, and the first is ammonite <3

Date of discovery: 02. 08. 2019

Locality: Juodikiai gravel quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania

complete ammonite of Bredyia genus (Hammatoceratidae family) 

Jurassic marine layers in Lithuania begin in Bathonian (Middle Jurassic) and end in Tithonian (Uppermost Jurassic) but some ammonites I found in Klaipeda district (western Edge of Lithuania) show that some older Jurassic formations could reach Lithuanian territory from western areas like South Sweden or Denmark and it is very possible talking about the villages located near the Baltic Sea. The numerous mollusc fossils in black and brown erratic boulders confirm this idea but it is neccessary to identify all the mollusc remains from Klaipeda district to know the age variety of this kind of erratic boulders. The ammonite fossil is about 6 cm diameter <3 

Bredyia Late Toarcian- Aalenian.JPG

• I found this Informative 16

The second cephalopod is coiled specimen from Middle Ordovician- quite rare case with the genus identified. <3

Date of Discovery: 03.08.2019

Locality: Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania.

Trocholites coiled nautiloid (Tarphycerida order)

Lasnamagi formation, Middle Darriwilian (Middle Ordovician)

Ordovician is the oldest time when coiled cephalopods appear, and this specimen is transported by glacier as the erratic boulder from Lasnamagi  formation that is known in Northern Estonia. The formation is identified by the content of this light grey limestone erratic boulders including trilobites, receptaculitids and other algae, graptolites and other fossils. The age of Lasnamagi formation is about 465 million years, and Trocholites is well known in Darriwilian layers of Estonia including Lasnamagi formation. ~465 million years are gone but we still have nautiloid survivor Nautilus pompilius and its shell has been changed so little... Cephalopods are "marine primates" so we can say that there in very old times clever animals already existed  <3   

Trocholites Lasnamagi stage.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

And now, I will show two vertebrates. The first is from Placoderm:

Date of discovery: 03. 08. 2019

Locality: Ketvergiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania

Ptyctodontid placoderm tooth

Famennian, Late Devonian

Placoderms are the most primitive jawed vertebrates and the blunt shape of this tooth shows that ptyctodontid placoderms were shell eaters. It is one of the oldest age cases talking about this nutrition method in vertebrates, however shell eating dipnoans and some species of sharks also thrived in Devonian period. 

ptyctodontid  gnathal plate 3.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

And the last vertebrate fossil is also flat crushing tooth, but now from dipnoan.

Date of discovery: 02. 08. 2019

Locality: Juodikiai quarry, Klaipeda district, Western Lithuania

Dipteridae fossil dental plate

Famennian, Late Devonian. 

Dipnoan teeth are one of the most favorite fossil finds in my collection, this specimen is 1 cm length. So it is quite big and interesting. :D  

dipteridae 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Found: August 4, 2019

Saber-Tooth Salmon - Enchodus petrosus (Cope)

Jaw Section w/ 2 partial teeth and 1 complete tooth and green sand matrix 

Late Cretaceous

Thanks to the folks over at Fossil ID for nailing this one down!

Big Brook is known for plentiful hardy fossils such as sharks teeth, belemnites, coprolites, and oysters.  Fragile pieces, such as this one, are a rare exciting find!

There is a lot of prep work to do, but the results will have to wait for another month.

Enchodus_01.jpg.01eef3b85246f23b2143cd8d2a806f02.jpg

Enchodus_02.jpg

Enchodus_03.jpg

Enchodus_04.jpg

• I found this Informative 15

Thanks to all for the ID assistance on this one.  It felt wonderful having someone in the forum call the specimen a "textbook example" of a scleractinian.

(Diameter of fossil is 1 - 1.5 cm)

Found on 04 August 2019

Parasmilia, a Solitary Coral

Lower Cretaceous, Comanche Peak fm.

Central Texas, USA (western area of Bell County, TX)

Fossil 5.jpg

Fossil 3.jpg

Fossil 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Indeed! The summer months are a great time for those in the northern hemisphere to brave the heat and get out to their favorite fossil sites to find lots of goodies to entertain us here in the FOTM gallery. Those of us in Florida where the rivers are high (busily hiding next season's fossils) simply bide our time and organize and label our fossils from last season while we wait for winter when it is our time to shine. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

30 minutes ago, digit said:

The summer months are a great time for those in the northern hemisphere to brave the heat and get out to their favorite fossil sites to find lots of goodies to entertain us here in the FOTM gallery. Those of us in Florida where the rivers are high (busily hiding next season's fossils) simply bide our time and organize and label our fossils from last season while we wait for winter when it is our time to shine.

:D:D LOL!!

So, my area has already transformed into Florida ;). Too hot or too many thunderstorms or too rainy during the summer, incl. all kinds of bugs. Winter is much better, only a few weeks with frost and snow left - best time to prospect (no vegetation) and also to dig (still not hot).

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

Mazon Creek (home to the famous Carboniferous Lagerstätte) is much the same. Locals try to time their hunting to the spring season before the undergrowth occludes the ground and before the heat, mosquitoes and TICKS!!! get too intense. The diversity of our membership and their favorite hunting spots ensures we always have great eye candy to drool over in this little corner of the forum. :drool:;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Found on August, 3th, 2019

Phacops (Phacops) aff. fecundus degener and Phacops sp.

Early Devonian (Emsian)

Col d'Aubisque, Pyrénées Atlantiques, France

IMG_20190808_132122.thumb.jpg.21e25becccee07a075793e3f5cd975bb.jpg

A little wet :

IMG_20190808_210750.thumb.jpg.e716f7046d720dbe79b57f34aa0a0238.jpg

• I found this Informative 24

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Nice trio !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thank you.:D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

Thank you John.

In memory of Doren

Merci Dominique.:D

I'm ending clearing them a bit more to make them more presentable.

In memory of Doren

A great find, for me(!) : in this oolitic formation, corals are rare and often rolled, this type of conservation with preserved corallites is exceptional; diameter of the colony is 14 mm (1/2 i.).

Date of Discovery: 11 aug. 2019

Scientific and/or Common Name: Kobyastraea sp (coral)

Geologic Age or Geologic Formation:  Bajocian , oolitic limestone

State, Province, or Region Found : SWFrance , ‘causse de Martel’ (near Lot valley)

SI850042.JPG

• I found this Informative 22

This fossil was found on the 11th of August 2019

Plesiosaurid cf Plesiosaurus dolichodeirus

Charmouth mudstone formation

Charmouth, Dorset, England

This is a block of matrix with a paddle digit and ribs.

IMG_2687.thumb.jpeg.0000a9875c217607cd15d69cd3afccfa.jpegIMG_2678.jpeg

IMG_2682.jpeg

• I found this Informative 11