Did somebody order the crab?

Kane

As I've posted a lot of trilobite drawings here already, I thought it would be an interesting challenge to take up @Doctor Mud's suggestion to draw a Tumido. I've never drawn a crab before, so this was unfamiliar terrain for me. If I needed the additional challenge, I did this with a sprained thumb. After consulting a few resources, I laid it out and rendered it as usual with pencil. 

Time: ~12 hours

Materials: Pencils (HB, H, some 3B), blending stumps, standard sized white paper. 

IMG_6214.JPG

• I found this Informative 25

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Incredible!  :blink:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:default_faint:

I'm always in awe of those who can render images this artistically. If I tried, you'd be hard pressed to tell if it was a crab, a stick person or a house. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, gents! :) 

@digit -- Call me stubbornly optimistic, but I think just about anyone can draw if they put in the time and practice. But then again, perhaps I think you might be onto something with a composition of crab chasing stick man into house. :D 

Wow this is incredible :default_faint:That's one of the best drawings I have ever seen!

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

I struggle to think of a better crab rendition

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wonderfully done, a pleasure to see.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Very nice as always Kane! Your drawings and your prep work are always astounding! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

That is just so impressive, Kane. I like to draw, and occasionally I can draw something I'm reasonably satisfied with, but I honestly can't imagine drawing anything as technically and artistically as impressive as your crab. Beautiful!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Wow, i lack words to say how this finish is impressive.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Wow!! I couldn’t imagine that you would take up the challenge @Kane and the results are beyond my wildest dreams!

A spectacular tribute to one of my favourite fossils. 

Nicely done sir!

:default_clap2:

I don’t often respond to your drawing posts, but I admire all of them. Once again the result is dazzling ! Could you give for each of your drawings the past time ? And I’ll find it interesting to give us a picture of the fossils that were used for the drawings. It is possible that your drawings are better than the photos ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Wow!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks, all. I am humbled by your kind words. :) And thanks to Doctor Mud for the suggestion -- there are other things than trilobites to draw. Maybe. :P A few folks have suggested cephalopods, so that may be in the hopper once my thumb heals.

Nice touch with the bit of pencil by the way.  A spot of color (or colour if you prefer) that makes the rest of the image stand out even more.

Don

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Nice touch with the bit of pencil by the way.  A spot of color (or colour if you prefer) that makes the rest of the image stand out even more.

Don

That was admittedly an accident; one of the pencils rolled in and photobombed the image. :D I didn't notice until later.  It is already a bit of a challenge photographing graphite drawings. I really need to invest in a scanner.

Send me the drawing and I'll scan it for you. :P

Did your thumb find it's way between your hammer and a fossil? :blink:

Cheers.

-Ken