Please help identify my bumps.

sonofthree

I am a complete novice.  I have searched for fossils as a hobby but have never found anything like this. 

I found this near Lovell, Wyoming, near the base of the Big Horn mountains. 

It measures approximately 5cm x 5cm.  Thanks for any help.

cropped 2.jpg

cropped.jpg

Reminds me of some kind of colonial coral, but not sure.  Im sure someone here will know for sure. 

RB

• I Agree 1

The morphology matches well with the receptaculitid: Ischadites

image.png.496d041f69ddd86580e414493d2b2179.png

Foster, M. 1973

Ordovician receptaculitids from California and their significance.

Lethaia, 6(1):35-65

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 4 years later...

Dear XXX,

Nice find!

The fossil illustrated is certainly a receptaculitid, although part of the lower body.

It shows the typical regular arrangement of skeletal elements in spires for which it was called the "sunflower coral" (for a common large species in North America).

It also shows what they call "intercalations", which are a certain give away. Although I could only find one such intercalation, it is an asymmetrical one, typical for Ordovician receptaculitids (none known from the Silurian-Devonian, except for the Australian mid-Silurian Hexabactron). The same type of asymmetrical intercalations are shown by "Piranha" copy of Foster's (1973) drawing for "Ischadites mammilaris" (the letters "d" in the drawing). It is unlikely to be the same species though, but I would need to know more for a better identification.

Receptaculitids have long been regarded as "algae" or "sponges" but they are probably metazoans not related to sponges. What they are exactly has been debated for over two centuries.

Best wishes,

Geert-Jan Brummer

• I found this Informative 2