Northeastern BC Quarry Find

TheShrifter

Hello all! This is my first post here but surely not my last. I have always been fascinated by fossils, but after accidentally stumbling across some fossils lately (some decorticated rugosa coral) I have taken quite the interest in fossil hunting. I have a recent find that really intrigues me and I'd like to have some expert opinions on it! 

This was found near some trace fossils and some small (1" or 2.5cm dia.) ammonite fossils. These were in a mountain quarry (approx 950m above sea level) on some nearly vertical shale.

Thanks in advance!

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190730121059877.thumb.jpg.402aba7d55021d031fb531de4be15125.jpg

Welcome to the Forum from a former BCer (Vancouver and the Island). 

Where did this specimen come from, a bit more precisely than "northeastern BC"?  You don't have to give GPS coordinates or anything, but northeastern BC includes almost every geological period.  I'd really like to see the small ammonites as well, as they can help a lot to narrow down the geological context.  Anyway I don't see a recognizable body fossil in your photo, but views from different angles could change that impression.  For the moment I'm leaning towards a trace fossil.

Don

On 8/3/2019 at 7:24 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Welcome to the Forum from a former BCer (Vancouver and the Island). 

Where did this specimen come from, a bit more precisely than "northeastern BC"?  You don't have to give GPS coordinates or anything, but northeastern BC includes almost every geological period.  I'd really like to see the small ammonites as well, as they can help a lot to narrow down the geological context.  Anyway I don't see a recognizable body fossil in your photo, but views from different angles could change that impression.  For the moment I'm leaning towards a trace fossil.

Don

Thanks for the input! I fear it may be a concretion with some character, but I'll upload another picture or two for another look. This was in the Pine pass 100km south of Chetwynd BC. 

IMG_20190804_203735.jpg

IMG_20190804_203849.jpg

IMG_20190804_203814.jpg

Trace fossils, concretion, and body fossils can be almost blended together, or graded into each other, in some situations.