A visit to Erindale area

markjw

I visited Etobicoke Creek, and, as usual, the place was packed with fossils. Then I went to Credit River...a park near "The Riverwood Conservancy". At first I was disappointed, but in one place I found 3 little corals that had been packed into a mud path by hiker's boots. Here they are; all approximately 4 cm across.

aCoral42.jpg

aCoralsCreditRiver-45.jpg

aCreditRiverCoral46.jpg

aCreditRiverCoral47.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Those are really nice - congrats!

PS - Bill Hessin's book (2009) has two colonial rugose corals listed: Favistina (which is most common in the Georgian Bay Formation compared with other formations in south-central Ontario - maybe this is the one you have?) and Palaeophyllum.  This book lists the following tabulate corals: Lichenaria, Tetradium, Paleoalveolites, Foerstephyllum, and Protaraea.

@FossilDAWG will likely be able to help with identification :)

All three corals belong to Favestina calcina (Nicholson, 1874).  I explained the history of the name, and the coral fauna of the Streetsville exposures, in an earlier post here.  Nice finds!

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Nice corals. I like corals. Thanks for the photos.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

6 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nice corals. I like corals. Thanks for the photos.

My pleasure. I hope to find more.

9 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

All three corals belong to Favestina calcina (Nicholson, 1874).  I explained the history of the name, and the coral fauna of the Streetsville exposures, in an earlier post here.  Nice finds!

Don

That is a very useful post; thank you. Your narrative was most intriguing.

12 hours ago, Monica said:

Those are really nice - congrats!

PS - Bill Hessin's book (2009) has two colonial rugose corals listed: Favistina (which is most common in the Georgian Bay Formation compared with other formations in south-central Ontario - maybe this is the one you have?) and Palaeophyllum.  This book lists the following tabulate corals: Lichenaria, Tetradium, Paleoalveolites, Foerstephyllum, and Protaraea.

@FossilDAWG will likely be able to help with identification :)

Thanks M.

I'll be eager to consult Hessin's book shortly, but it will be less entertaining than 'Dawg's analysis.