Is This An Ankylosaur Spike

Hi all,

I am considering buying this fossil and I was wondering whether it is a ankylosaur spike or a bone? I was wondering what peoples opinions of this are?

Many Thanks,

Danny5d46b6765463e_ScreenShot2019-08-04at11_39_06.png.c81d09b7535e7be550c895fd131f440e.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 11.38.59.png

Edited by Dannymaz

No, this is a piece of unidentifiable bone. It's been worn down so much all features have gone. There is no hope to identify this at all.

We're seeing the spongy bone from the inside on the outside, which means the original surface cortex bone has been abraded away.

• I found this Informative 5

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

42 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

No, this is a piece of unidentifiable bone. It's been worn down so much all features have gone. There is no hope to identify this at all.

We're seeing the spongy bone from the inside on the outside, which means the original surface cortex bone has been abraded away.

thanks for the help. I won't purchase it.

4 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

. He did say it possibly could be an anky spike not definitely an anky spike :)

Yes but stating clearly that it's a rare British dinosaur bone implies Anky.  Good that Dannymaz was smart enough to verify.

• I found this Informative 1

On 8/4/2019 at 4:12 PM, JohnBrewer said:

The seller is a well regarded member of the forum. He did say it possibly could be an anky spike not definitely an anky spike :) 

D149533C-8EDB-4586-AD47-464830E72C10.thumb.jpeg.3bcbd4b1082341a68f66d60276b704d9.jpeg

Yep I know it said possibly but I just wanted opinions since I am pretty new to fossil collecting and do not know what I am looking for a lot of the time, so wanted to check.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:13 AM, Dannymaz said:

Yep I know it said possibly but I just wanted opinions since I am pretty new to fossil collecting and do not know what I am looking for a lot of the time, so wanted to check.

I’m of the opinion that it’s always good to check if you are unsure of something. If you are looking for an Anky spike, and the seller is unsure if it is one, but thinks it might be, why not ask everyone else’s opinion before you buy what may or may not be what you are looking for? If I were the one looking at purchasing the fossil, I would ask for opinions. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)