FossilNerd

Gulf Shores Public Hunting Locations?

FossilNerd

My family and I are taking a vacation down to Gulf Shores in about a month. I was wondering if there were any public areas to hunt. Preferably some place I can take the kiddos along and have a family day, but I wouldn’t mind some alone time either. ;) I don’t mind a “pay to hunt” site, if there are such things in the area. 

Brett Breakin' Rocks
1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

My family and I are taking a vacation down to Gulf Shores

Hi There,

My family has a place down in Gulf Shores ... best I've done so far is make the haul over and up to Andalusia Alabama for Point A Dam.  Check the dam release schedules and tons of rain is not your friend as was the case last time I tried.  (Picture digging in shoulder high water ? ... yeah, not easy) The teeth are there .. and if the water level is low and slow it is easily accessible for kids.  Or so I've read.

Good Luck,

Brett

01_PointADamAL_061317.thumb.jpg.d157a95b1063b0fa25ef1b059851aa80.jpg

FossilNerd
7 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi There,

My family has a place down in Gulf Shores ... best I've done so far is make the haul over and up to Andalusia Alabama for Point A Dam.  Check the dam release schedules and tons of rain is not your friend as was the case last time I tried.  (Picture digging in shoulder high water ? ... yeah, not easy) The teeth are there .. and if the water level is low and slow it is easily accessible for kids.  Or so I've read.

Good Luck,

Brett

Thanks Brett! I'll check into it! We will be headed to Gulf Shores via I-65. Looks like I can get off at Evergreen and make my way over to Andalusia. Maybe I can convince the wife to stop along the way. Strictly to stretch our legs and give the kids a break of course! ;) 

Brett Breakin' Rocks
6 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Thanks Brett! I'll check into it! We will be headed to Gulf Shores via I-65. Looks like I can get off at Evergreen and make my way over to Andalusia. Maybe I can convince the wife to stop along the way. Strictly to stretch our legs and give the kids a break of course! ;) 

Sure .... a note. You can see the parking on the satellite view. The walk is down to the dam with the dam to your right.

On your left is the trailhead for a pleasant stroll that, if I remember correctly eventually will plop you down on the river bank and it is less slippery.  Almost right where you want to be anyway. 

If you just continue straight you will see the river and dam. Continue along the bank to your left once you hit the water. You will see previous signs of activity. The bank here can be wicked slippery when wet ... at least for the first few hundred feet. 

Good luck !

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Did I mention the release schedule? Water levels can fluctuate by 15-20 feet if I remember correctly when it is open. 

FossilNerd
8 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Sure .... a note. You can see the parking on the satellite view. The walk is down to the dam with the dam to your right.

On your left is the trailhead for a pleasant stroll that, if I remember correctly eventually will plop you down on the river bank and it is less slippery.  Almost right where you want to be anyway. 

If you just continue straight you will see the river and dam. Continue along the bank to your left once you hit the water. You will see previous signs of activity. The bank here can be wicked slippery when wet ... at least for the first few hundred feet. 

Good luck !

Cheers,

Brett

PS. Did I mention the release schedule? Water levels can fluctuate by 15-20 feet if I remember correctly when it is open. 

Thanks again! A little stroll would be just what we need to stretch our legs. 

You did mention the release schedule. I will definitely check it out before we attempt to make the visit. Thanks for the heads up!