Mosasaurus or Croc

LawdogGRNJ

Found this yesterday while hunting with the family, in Big Brook.  Can't tell if it's Croc, Mosasaurus, or something else.  I forgot to include a ruler in the pictures, but the fragment is about 5 inches in length.  Any help on how to safely remove the green sand stuck to it would be greatly appreciated.

20190805_092420.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

+ 1 for Enchodus jaw.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks all!

Any thoughts on what sub would be best to ask about removing the green sands matrix and preserving the fossil?

I don't quite know what you mean by sub, but to remove the surrounding matrix I would recommend for this piece a sharp scalpel blade / x-acto knife and good magnification and then coat in either vinac or paraloid. Also very nice find.

That’s a really large Enchodus lateral jaw section. Most are ~2 inch frags. To remove the formation just use a pick of some sort, and be patient with it.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Thanks Haravex, my apologies for the internet slang.  By "sub" I mean forum sub-group or thread.  Appreciate the advice on the preservation coatings.

Thanks too Mr. Leeds ;-) 

I'll update with pictures once I get it done....which will take awhile.

Yup looks like Enchodus. very nice piece.

From that last photo the bone looks a bit flaky, which is kinda typical for some fish bones. Be careful when prepping around areas that look fragile as parts of the bone may chip off.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

That’s a really large Enchodus lateral jaw section. Most are ~2 inch frags. To remove the formation just use a pick of some sort, and be patient with it.

Whoaaa I missed that part! 5 inches??

58 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Whoaaa I missed that part! 5 inches??

Yeah, it must’ve come from a big fishy.

Please show us how it looks like after you’ve cleaned it. @LawdogGRNJ

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Maybe Xiphactinus

Definitely looks like fish to me.

@Carl  @Xiphactinus  @Ramo  @Ptychodus04

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Maybe Xiphactinus

Definitely looks like fish to me.

@Carl  @Xiphactinus  @Ramo  @Ptychodus04

It’s definitely not Xiphactinus as that would have tooth sockets, while Enchodus attaches directly to the jaw.

I'm still pretty sold on Enchodus. It matches a lot of the jaw sections I have found in the same area (although the size would be problematic)...

IMG_20190426_093924.jpg

Definitely not Xiphactinus. I would say Pachyrhizodus caninus rather than Enchodus sp. due to the size.

As for the prep, a bit of time with a dental pick would do well on this I think.

I’m actually completely sure this is Enchodus. The shape of the teeth and also the well-pronounced striations on a single side of the largest tooth indicate Enchodus.

• I found this Informative 2

45 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I’m actually completely sure this is Enchodus. The shape of the teeth and also the well-pronounced striations on a single side of the largest tooth indicate Enchodus.

Fair enough. I just went into my study and looked at the jaws of a P. caninus that I have and they are quite different than this. I’m in the Enchodus camp now as well.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:44 PM, The Jersey Devil said:

I absolutely agree with you but if that size is correct, I think this needs to be shown to the museum.. we would be talking about a rediculously sized fish... @LawdogGRNJ

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I absolutely agree with you but if that size is correct, I think this needs to be shown to the museum.. we would be talking about a rediculously sized fish... @LawdogGRNJ

I would like to see it next to a ruler, but even if it is 5” it might still be plausible. Enchodus is simply fragmentary here and this could just be more complete (at the same time as coming from a larger individual).