Trip Dilemma, where to go!! Help me choose...

Suvi

Hello Everyone,

I am facing a bit of a dilemma. Husband is getting me a trip to go dig fossils for my 40th birthday!! Now, the dilemma of choosing where to go! My dream has always been to go to Green River formation for fishes.... however, here locally I am used to finding marine fossils only (North Texas), and another option would be to go with a certain Adventure group in South Dakota for some variety. I love prepping the delicate fishes, and think the Green River experiences would give more to take home with.

Anyone here have any experience, or advice? I want TO DO BOTH!! 

Thanks in advance,

Suvi

• I found this Informative 1

Not sure when you're planning on going, but - given the choice - I think I'd rather spend August in Wyoming over the S.D. Badlands. 

Depending on which Hell Creek adventure group you're going with, you'll be able to bring home many more quality and valuable fossils from the Green River Fm. quarries...

My humble opinion places Green River above South Dakota unless you are spending a long time on your excursion. At Green River, the finds are frequent and likelihood of a NICE piece high compared to SD. I can guarantee that there will be no disappointment with this choice. At Green River, you will likely have time to venture to other nice sites. We did a successful side trip to collect blue forest petrified wood. Other options are available too. The Tetons are not too far away and may be nice to visit. I did find fossils there (brachiopods)at the top of the mountains, elevation 9900ft!. Have fun and give hubby a BIG hug for his choice of birthday gifts. 

Mike

Thank you all for the responses! I am not sure if ok to call out the groups that provide the digging in SD, or slab splitting in Green River, but if it is, I could use some pointers. There are plenty of reviews in web, so trusting those to make up my mind.

American Fossil, Kemmerer Wyoming is the one I had a great time at. @sseth is owner of this quarry and it is the only quarry that lets you keep everything.  The staff there are wonderful!!! You will not be disappointed!