Tiny Hash Plate I.D. Request

BLT

Hi, I am hoping someone will be able to tell me what all is on this little hash plate. My husband found it in Williamson County, TN. (Ordovician / I’m still trying to determine the geological formation in which it was found.)

Thanks! 

85F32371-DDE7-4EB9-82D6-78E728211A77.jpeg

67BA94B3-809F-4553-9A7A-507DCF024666.jpeg

DE7DD268-EAC5-4352-BE0C-1B0C2F3E178C.jpeg

DFF00A46-473E-4EE9-93A3-9A93D9EF42B6.jpeg

C33F6519-ECE5-45B6-90C6-987292D19685.jpeg

This favorite of mine was found at the same location. I wish my iPhone camera could capture the beautiful coloring in this one. It is actually quite lovely. :)  

B13D5302-B45D-481F-B843-08DD5F58AD3A.jpeg

642404B0-2B2D-4CF2-B8BB-1315000C0541.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, BLT said:

This favorite of mine was found at the same location. I wish my iPhone camera could capture the beautiful coloring in this one. It is actually quite lovely. :)  

You can change the settings on the camera. You probably already know this, but just in case. I can see just a hint of what you mean.

I see bryozoan, coral, and other marine bits like shell fragments in the first one. Not sure what the second one is. May be fossil or geological. Can't make up my mind just from the photos.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

53 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You can change the settings on the camera. You probably already know this, but just in case. I can see just a hint of what you mean.

Thanks! :) I took a few more photos which are a bit more indicative of the true colors. 

4E6D458C-3B94-42D2-9E9B-E458DE892E37.jpeg

AB1DC117-35FE-463E-AC54-632076F917EE.jpeg

The second one may be calcite, but I'm no expert. :unsure:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I think your second specimen may be a sponge. More specifically a Stromatoporoid. “Stroms” are found in Ordovician rock in Tennessee (and Kentucky ;) ). They form layers (laminae) which this seems to have. You may also be able to see verticals pillar structures in cross section with the aid of a lens. They typically form domes, but can be spherical, conical, branching, etc. They can also have bumps on the surface called mamelons. Is there any spot on the surface not covered in the crystals, that you could observe? 

It’s hard sometimes to differentiate these from stromatolites as they also form in layers and can be the same shapes, but the   pillar structures and galleries (chambers that form from pillars and laminae intersecting) are not present in Stromatolites. Magnification may confirm one way or the other. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

16 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Is there any spot on the surface not covered in the crystals, that you could observe? 

No, not that I have noticed. 

6 minutes ago, BLT said:

No, not that I have noticed. 

I was thinking seeing any mamelons would help to confirm Stromatoporoid, but that’s ok. The crystals are beautiful too! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

I was thinking seeing any mamelons would help to confirm Stromatoporoid, but that’s ok. The crystals are beautiful too! :wub:

Gotcha. Thanks again! :) Indeed, I agree that it is quite lovely! Definitely a favorite of mine. :)