Spence Gulch site East of Liberty, ID — status

Wendell Ricketts

I’m wondering if anyone has collected at the Spence Gulch site outside Liberty, Idaho, in the last year or so and would be kind enough to give me a status report. I have a chance to go before long, but random internet opinion seems pretty evenly divided between “great place, lots of fossils” and “bad quality rock, lots of work for little reward.”

I’d be grateful for any help/info.

Wendell 

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

I've been there this year as part of a research team for an ongoing project. It's a great place with some luck and IF you put a lot of elbow grease into it. The outcrop is heavily weathered but with persistent digging you can get out larger slabs of shale to split. The hard part is the shale weathers very easily after being exposed and good outcrop tends to cover up over the year with talus and soil. When I was there last month I had a great amount of luck during a short three hour collecting window (see the attached pic).

Spence trilos (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been going to Spence Gulch at least once a year fort the past couple of years, I agree with Wayan Man. The only thing I can add is some of the layers down lower, almost level with the stream bed seemed to have more Zacanthodies, small ones.

• 1 year later...
On 8/6/2019 at 7:51 AM, Wendell Ricketts said:

I’m wondering if anyone has collected at the Spence Gulch site outside Liberty, Idaho, in the last year or so and would be kind enough to give me a status report. I have a chance to go before long, but random internet opinion seems pretty evenly divided between “great place, lots of fossils” and “bad quality rock, lots of work for little reward.”

I’d be grateful for any help/info.

Wendell 

Do you or anyone here have directions to get here, i'm gonna be passing through next week and would love to stop

30 minutes ago, Peter Jacobsen said:

Do you or anyone here have directions to get here, i'm gonna be passing through next week and would love to stop

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

LINK

The second, third and fourth links look to have directions.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me