Why Aren't there any Shark Teeth in VT.

matt2946

18 hours ago, caldigger said:

Wouldn't there be spiecies that would have lived in the area permanently?

I don't know. Are there any in the fossil record? And that takes us full circle!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 8/11/2019 at 9:37 PM, caldigger said:

Wouldn't there be spiecies that would have lived in the area permanently?

1. The sea lasted only for a couple of thousand years, it was progressively more fresh water over time, and prey (judging from the number of whale and seal fossils) was always scarce.  Not enough time to evolve adaptations to such a severe environment.

2. Sharks are absent from environmentally similar areas in the modern St. Lawrence estuary.  This would have been the source for any Champlain Sea sharks.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

On 8/6/2019 at 1:07 PM, matt2946 said:

@Auspex It is logical to think that the narrow finger of what is modern day Lake Champlain may have been too shallow for sharks (although I have my doubts about this), but that does not explain why there is no evidence of sharks anywhere else in the ancient Champlain Sea, even in the larger Canadian area. 

@Oxytropidoceras Thanks for the feedback! Do you have any theories as to why there is no evidence of shark activity in the Champlain Sea? 

No, I nothing to add to the other theories that have been suggested. There is a video with plenty of Champlain Sea fossils at:

The Late Pleistocene Champlain Sea of Eastern North America

Andrew R. C. Milner, Utah Friends of Paleontology, May 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3qduiL_UWg

The audio could be better.

Yours,

Paul H.