Advice for Dremel engraver fossil prep

Laura.A.S

I have recently begun my journey into fossil prep, i'm using a dremel electric engraver as it seemed to be the best cheap tool. I have several ammonites from Yorkshire within nodules - these are very hard in the centre and consist of pyritised sediment. It is taking a very long time with the dremel using tungsten-carbide point, so just asking for any advice on how is best to try and get through these very hard bits.

Cheers in advance!!

Time and patience, Laura. Even with an air scribes pyrite is a nightmare! What Dremel are you using? Is it the rotary kind or the percussion type like the Record engraver. 

Please take good care to avoid aspirating any pyrite!

(I moved this topic to the Fossil Preparation forum)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome to the Forum from Austin, Tx.  You've found a great place to seek advise and knowledge on all things paleo.

Thanks, I will just persevere then! I am using a percussion type, from what I gathered it was more useful than a rotary dremel. 

Not to worry about inhaling any pyrite I am working outside so well ventilated and have a mask!

1 minute ago, Laura.A.S said:

I am working outside so well ventilated and have a mask!

:thumbsu:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Slow and steady wins the race. There's not much more you can do without really buying up on equipment. Even then, as john mentioned, pyrite is still a nightmare.

Thanks, I will be sure to keep at it then!

You'll get best results from yorkshire material using a Pneumatic air pen. I recommend a ken mannion pen. They're costly but they're worth the investment. I use my dremel for grinding down the matrix around the ammonites. Yorkshire ammos are super hard especially when pyrite is present.  Good luck :)

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

On 8/6/2019 at 12:27 PM, Laura.A.S said:

Thanks, I will just persevere then! I am using a percussion type, from what I gathered it was more useful than a rotary dremel. 

Not to worry about inhaling any pyrite I am working outside so well ventilated and have a mask!

Good. Try to stay upwind as well. The mask doesn't stop all of the airborne particles unless it seals completely airtight around your mouth and nose. That's why a respirator is recommended if you will be doing it often. Think of coal miners and resulting lung issues. Particulates of any kind in the lungs are always a bad idea.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

12 hours ago, Laura.A.S said:

I have recently begun my journey into fossil prep,

That’s it! It’s all over with.. you’ve started down that slippery slope of fossil preparation. Soon you’ll be trolling the internet mumbling “I just need one more.. just one more!” 

Actually you’re doing what you need to just slow and steady will get you there but it’s not fast. Protecting your lungs is paramount and eye protection of course. The dremel engraver and a few pics is how I started prepping (heck it’s still how I prep)

make sure you post plenty of pictures of your progress and don’t be afraid to ask advice. all of us other preppers will be glad to help out! Some of the members here are artists with a prep job.

Pics or it didn’t happen! Lol

Seriously. We love pictures! :) 

If you haven’t already, consider making a thread in the fossil preparation sub forum and show us your progress as you go so we can oooh and ahhh over it! You can also ask questions regarding areas you may be having trouble in and get some advice, but mainly so we can oooh and ahhh :D

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

15 hours ago, LiamL said:

You'll get best results from yorkshire material using a Pneumatic air pen. I recommend a ken mannion pen. They're costly but they're worth the investment. I use my dremel for grinding down the matrix around the ammonites. Yorkshire ammos are super hard especially when pyrite is present.  Good luck :)

Yeah, I have been looking at Ken Mannion pens, unfortunately not something I have the money or set up for atm.

22 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Pics or it didn’t happen! Lol

7 hours ago, Randyw said:

make sure you post plenty of pictures of your progress 

Pics, Pics, Pics! Here is my before and work in progress pictures!67944254_502989867124741_3686822677328166912_n.thumb.jpg.50abec5ecce424e5efe260069332c82b.jpg67740175_470895987023508_694590250072145920_n.thumb.jpg.87edd91bb7a00b823abe33443deb9916.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Oh yeah, that's gonna take some time with a Dremel engraver. Slow and easy. That matrix looks very tough.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

18 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Oh yeah, that's gonna take some time with a Dremel engraver. Slow and easy. That matrix looks very tough.

Yeah, it's softer round the edges, but very challenging in the centre

25 minutes ago, hrguy54 said:

Which dremel bit are you using? I use them, too.

Just the tungsten-carbide point they provide with the engraver, I have been looking at alternatives but not too sure what to try 

As said above Laura, just perseverance when it comes to engravers. As far as tips go, there isn’t much choice with the engravers. Yorkshire matrix is undeniably some of the hardest out there to get through, and that’s without pyrite. 

On 8/11/2019 at 4:39 PM, DanJeavs said:

As said above Laura, just perseverance when it comes to engravers. As far as tips go, there isn’t much choice with the engravers. Yorkshire matrix is undeniably some of the hardest out there to get through, and that’s without pyrite. 

Yeah, it seems the normal tips are just best, and I'm hoping to source some different material to work with

On 8/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, Laura.A.S said:

Just the tungsten-carbide point they provide with the engraver, I have been looking at alternatives but not too sure what to try 

I use the Dremel engraver too, and I bought a Dremel 9929 Engraver Diamond Point Bit for.  It cost about $12, and I have been quite satisfied with it.  It is better than the bit that came with the engraver.

Russ

21 hours ago, KCMOfossil said:

I bought a Dremel 9929 Engraver Diamond Point Bit

Yeah, I tried that the other day, but it completely broke after 10 mins, so sending it back. Maybe I was unlucky and got a poorly made one, or perhaps the Yorkshire stuff was too hard.