Dino egg-real or fake?

Aaron Livingston

Hello again everyone!

i received the egg I purchased. I took pics outside in sunlight so hopefully some of the can “shed light” on whether this is real or faked. Again, I greatly appreciate everyone’s input. Thanks!

Aaron

Just a reminder to all that the seller is not the focus or purpose of this forum.  Please use a PM to discuss these matters.  Thanks.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

26 minutes ago, Aaron Livingston said:

I won’t name seller. Just trying to establish authenticity of this item.

Reminder is for everyone. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The morphology feels "off" to me, the matrix looks doctored and the size is larger than what is typically expected of Oviraptorid eggs.

I have never seen legit dealers offering this particular type of Oviraptorid egg so I'd say it is at best, massively composited, or more likely, it's fake.

Price plays a big factor too. A blackish Oviraptorid egg without matrix coverage (excluding the base) has gone through extensive prep which can easily cost hundreds of US dollar. Such Oviraptorid egg are priced at over 500 USD easily, and usually much more.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Agree with Andy... I sent the OP a PM for additional reasons I would stay away from this.

23 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Agree with Andy... I sent the OP a PM for additional reasons I would stay away from this.

Is there any reason why you cant state those additional reasons on here for everyone to see?

I only ask because, for newer members like myself who have already read the pinned topics discussing fakes, any additional information that any other members may have in detecting fakes may prove very useful knowledge to have. 

The only reasons not to fake something are economic: common cheap fossils are not profitable enough to fake. The rarer and more expensive it gets, the higher probability its fake. And you'll never find out because faking becomes professional. Especially if trading/exporting is illegal. Just common sense.

47 minutes ago, El_Hueso said:

Is there any reason why you cant state those additional reasons on here for everyone to see?

PM's are private -- you can say things that would not be allowed or appropriate on the public part of the forum.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

PM's are private -- you can say things that would not be allowed or appropriate on the public part of the forum.

Ah, I see. Thanks!