Extant shark teeth in fossil shark teeth collection?

DevilDog

Does anyone keep extant shark teeth in their fossil shark teeth collections for comparison and reference? 

Is it poor form to ask for an ID on this forum of an extant tooth to see if it is related to a fossil tooth?

I think there are many people, Including myself that keep modern and fossilized sharkteeth for comparison.  As far as an ID, just post the question in the ID section of the forum.:)

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I have an extant shark jaw set (upper and lower) displayed with my largest Meg tooth for size comparison sake (impressive comparison). 

)

Others have asked for extant shark tooth ID before on the forum (some even on purpose :heartylaugh: ), so I'd say it's not in poor taste.  Comparison of extant and extinct gives comparison for evolutionary path evaluation and I'd say that's "on topic" for this forum.

• I found this Informative 2

I think it’s a great idea to be honest. If I had extant shark teeth I’d do it in my collection!

• I found this Informative 1

6 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Does anyone keep extant shark teeth in their fossil shark teeth collections for comparison and reference? 

Is it poor form to ask for an ID on this forum of an extant tooth to see if it is related to a fossil tooth?

If you go to a fossil show in Florida, you may see a guy selling modern teeth because a lot of fossil collectors want comparison pieces for reference and display.

Go Ahead and ask.  As Grandpa noted, people have asked before.

Hi,

I have a lot of recent shark and ray/skate jaws for comparison, a number of which I prepared myself. To ask for a determination, we need clear photos of the upper jaw and the lower jaw where we can count the teeth.

If it is an isolated tooth, we need a photo of both sides and measurements (as for the jaws).

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg