Where were these Megs found? Preservation?

DevilDog

I acquired these megs years ago, probably from a rock and fossil shop in Texas, USA. Is it at all possible to speculate where they might have originally been found based on their coloration and condition? 

Also, they have been "preserved" with what looks like clear lacquer. Is there a way to remove this without damaging the teeth? I would like to return them to somewhat of an "as found" condition. I realize they are poor quality specimens and not very large, but the shiny coating is bugging me!

Megs1.jpg

Megs2.jpg

They probably coated them to arrest any further enamel peel. 

It will be hard to say what you need to remove it without knowing what the coating is.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I think they are nice looking pieces! If they were mine I’d try applying a little varnish remover in a out of the way spot and check the results not a lot but maybe a q-tips worth...

If it's an acrylic coating you're stuck with it. Acetone will remove varnish, lacquer, and methacrylate finishes, but you may damage the fossil. I would just leave it as is. You could try holding one with tweezers and give it a quick dip and see if that dulls the shine a bit.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Acetone is a mild solvent.  I haven't had a problem using it on fossil teeth, and given that the teeth are already a bit jostled and weathered, I would try it.  You'll never know for sure but most of the commercially-available teeth come from South Carolina.