Need some help with identification WNY fossils

Snug1190

These were all found in the same area/layer in Cheektowaga NY.  I was told my someone to preserve them with an Elmer's glue water mix so there is a layer of that on them. I followed the contours of what I saw but looking back I might not have known enough about the shapes at the tip and should have probably either done the whole rock or not at all. Thankyou guys for all the posts I'm learning a lot of great stuff from you all

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for giving us some location information. :) This would put your find in the Onondaga / Bois Blanc Fms according to my geologic bedrock map, and so about mid-Devonian. Is there any chance you could take clearer photographs of specimens A and B?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The glue treatment would explain the darkening of the specimen.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

15 minutes ago, Snug1190 said:

I was told my someone to preserve them with an Elmer's glue water mix so there is a layer of that on them. I followed the contours of what I saw but looking back I might not have known enough about the shapes at the tip and should have probably either done the whole rock or not at all.

If you followed the wrong contour with the glue it may give the illusion of the specimen curving.

I agree with Kane. If we could get a few clearer photos, and maybe a few closeups of the tip of the “tail” area it would help with the ID. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I have had a reply from a eurypterid expert and the one lableled A is definitely not eurypterid. He also stated as did Scott that there are far too many segments that are clearly there in the picture. He could not make a definitive statement about the others pics without better pics or see the fossils in person

I have one of these in my collection, obtained at Penn-Dixie last year.  I identified it then as Spyroceras, a nautiloid.  These are very nice specimens in any event.

Derek

IMG_0190.JPG

Rattlesnake tail ! :heartylaugh:

Sorry ! :laugh2:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I saw this thread and I just had to comment— I’m from New York, and when I was younger I saw a fossil that looks extremely similar to this(from what I remember).  I actually may go and retrieve it from the matrix tomorrow!! :) Gorgeous specimens, whatever they turn out to be!!!

On 8/8/2019 at 8:45 PM, Malcolmt said:

I have had a reply from a eurypterid expert and the one lableled A is definitely not eurypterid. He also stated as did Scott that there are far too many segments that are clearly there in the picture. He could not make a definitive statement about the others pics without better pics or see the fossils in person

Well there we go then. Glad to have a resolution to this.