Vernalequinox

Hi! It's me again! This is another find from Big Brook in Monmouth County, NJ. It was recovered from the stream bed. I'm not sure it it's even a fossil, but it stuck out to me, especially because of the indentation. Thank you for your help! 

20190808_193218.jpg

20190808_192854.jpg

20190808_192748.jpg

20190808_192952.jpg

23 minutes ago, Vernalequinox said:

This is another find from Big Brook in Monmouth County, NJ

Hi there and welcome ... not quite sure, this looks like a phosphate nodule to my eyes. Not terribly familiar with the fauna in NJ. They can come in all shapes and sizes and many of the fossils found in the creeks, rivers and streams on the East coast have been phosphatized and replaced with this mineral.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

Occasionally the phosphate nodules will come home with me too ... 20190808_203126.thumb.jpg.07b8ee8f272127127a764cb8022384a4.jpg

I'm wondering if it is a modern seed.  If you put it in H2O does it float?

AND - WELCOME to the forum from Austin, Tx.  It's nice to have you join us.

Thank you for the welcome! I think you might be right! Yours has the same texture and "finish" as mine!

7 minutes ago, Vernalequinox said:

Thank you for the welcome! No, it does not float.

Likely not a seed, then.

Iron concretion.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

36 minutes ago, El_Hueso said:

A warm welcome from Houston, Texas!

Will a magnet stick to it? 

Thank you! I just tried a bunch of different magnets on it, and none stuck or had any effect.

I'm scratching my head at this one... The greenish colored section in the "hole", are you able to sratch it/is it a different texture than the rest of the specimen?

23 hours ago, El_Hueso said:

I'm scratching my head at this one... The greenish colored section in the "hole", are you able to sratch it/is it a different texture than the rest of the specimen?

I scratched at it a bit. The color didn't change,  and whatever is in the hole is not smooth and dark like the outside.