Shark tooth piece

Partyjam3

I found this piece of a sharks tooth on a trail In the sand I was wondering if anyone knew what it was? is it a meg tooth.

58713C7D-4720-4AC0-8197-BECB07D64559.jpeg

Hi there, Sweet find!

It looks like a partial meg to me, but for a concrete id you might want to post the location of the find and the specimen next to a scale bar since we don't know how big your hand is.

• I found this Informative 1

Brightened and cropped below.

I can see a bourlette above the root which means Carcharocles or Otodus lineage (megalodon and ancestors), but no serrations. These could have worn off or aren't clear in the photo. 

Since the tooth has no clear cusps or evidence of reduced cusps I would say megalodon.

Post a clearer photo for confirmation

image.jpeg.85d31b077568bf125c6d56cb4bbb1df5.jpeg

Thanks for the new pictures.

I can see that it is worn so the serrations have been lost.

I think given the amount of wear on the tooth, you would be safest to say this is in the Carcharocles/Otodus lineage, but I couldn’t rule out if this tooth might gave originally had cusps.

So could be megalodon or one of its ancestors. If you knew the age of the rocks you could maybe exclude some or all of the ancestors.

This illustrates the transition over millions of years to megalodon, with the loss of cusps.

3648AFAF-D218-49D0-8E63-5C793F045F8C.thumb.jpeg.89306113c9a7f0430e005b125254a371.jpeg

From: https://www.fossilguy.com/topics/megshark/megshark.htm