Mazon Creek Unknown

connorp

This is my first non-Essexella find so far. Or at least non-indistinguishable-blob find that is. That said, I have absolutely now idea what it is. It looks vaguely familiar but I can’t put my finger on it. I hope the pictures are decent enough, if not I can try again. I uploaded some with a contrast boost as some of the details are faint.

64924AEB-BCAA-4C3A-9A53-D328F53C0144.thumb.jpeg.2d45c2fb386a3b8cd1e2e8798642249a.jpeg

8B1166E1-8971-4B69-8FD2-53BA887AB8E2.thumb.jpeg.50907cc19dae10e404311b8aaa0cd3dd.jpeg

@Nimravis

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Looks like there’s some kind of appendage, and what could be an eye stalk on the smaller half (right half in most pictures). But I’ve probably just been spending too much time with my Cambrian arthropods :zzzzscratchchin: 

This looks like a coprolite, to me.  :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks to me like an Achistrum sea cucumber, albeit a pretty faint one. 

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Thanks for putting me down this rabbit hole. Looked more into similar fossils possibly IDed as such on the forum and I am thinking instead that it might instead be Coprinoscolex ellogimus. I thought so at first because of the stockier nature of my specimen, which did not seem to align with Achistrum very well. Here is an image from the original paper describing this species:

5d4db4845a30c_ScreenShot2019-08-09at12_57_56PM.thumb.png.425e6b05c5ca4b686a1a07519e8ead3a.png

My specimen looks very similar to B I think.

5 hours ago, deutscheben said:

I would agree.

This is very likely a portion of a sea cucumber. It may also be a poorly preserved Coprinoscolex (spoon worm).

if you have a microscope, you should see J shaped structures. This would confirm that it is sea cucumber.

• I found this Informative 1

28 minutes ago, RCFossils said:

I would agree.

This is very likely a portion of a sea cucumber. It may also be a poorly preserved Coprinoscolex (spoon worm).

if you have a microscope, you should see J shaped structures. This would confirm that it is sea cucumber.

When I'm back at school I'll check for these. Do you not think that there is a proboscis preserved?

Sea cucumber sclerites most likely, small section, poorly preserved because of the coarse texture of the matrix. I believe that only a short segment of the creature is preserved here, be it cuke or worm.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2019 at 2:01 PM, RCFossils said:

I would agree.

How large are the J shaped structures? Just looked at under my scope (albeit not a very good one) and saw nothing of the sort.

I would label it MC fauna, indet. Worm or cuke, either way you'll end up with better, if you don't have one already.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!