Heteromorph

I confess I don't understand why this news article merits being designated "silly season".

Don

Clearly a local interest story for folks who never think about what's out of sight underfoot.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I confess I don't understand why this news article merits being designated "silly season".

Don

Well, it’s one of those kinds of stories that tend to show up when the local news cycle is slow, like at this time of year. I’m not saying it’s bad, but I just find reporting on someone finding inoceramids to be a bit silly.

• I found this Informative 2

I think the point is that it must have been a reallllyy slow news day to report on common fossils that are uncovered and visible at virtually any construction site in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area...almost like a news report that sand was found at the beach.  :D

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Personally, I appreciate slow news days. ;) Agreed that finding mammoth bones while enlarging a pond is a bit more interesting than common bivalves on a construction site but I'll take any non-depressing news story these days. Still waiting for the Breaking News scroll of "Sand found on beach.....details at 11:00".

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

The California version is breaking news that a 2.9 earthquake has shaken residents. A quick call to Caltech indicates that no tsunami is forecast.

If the inoceramid had been over six feet across then yes, you have a real news story. I remember seeing ones two to three feet across that could only be preserved with a photo.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

On 8/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, JohnJ said:

I think the point is that it must have been a reallllyy slow news day to report on common fossils that are uncovered and visible at virtually any construction site in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area...almost like a news report that sand was found at the beach.  :D

Whoa! Sand was found at the beach? Yesterday it was still covered in rocks as far as the eye could see. What happened? Now that's a story!!!

egggs.thumb.jpg.11f607092213e97f1f6c761d943d81d4.jpg

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!