Annual shrimping holiday

t-tree

Once a year i head for the East Yorkshire coast to Reighton beach which is North west of the Flamborough heritage coast UK, as you walk south on this beach it becomes Speeton Sands (beach) this is where you can find the Lower Cretaceous shrimp Meyeria ornata. This is the one i found this year it is a bit one sided so this is a photo of it's best side.

Meyeria ornata

SAM_1775.thumb.JPG.d3b0059d0a4e0d99b062a4bdd26369f5.JPG

SAM_1776.JPG

Cheers John

• I found this Informative 15

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

Amazing how well the details of the fossil shell are preserved.  Beautiful find.  What is the age of the exposure?

Beautiful! :wub: :wub: A worthy addition to the other spectacular shrimp you have shown us in the past.

Don

37 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Amazing how well the details of the fossil shell are preserved.  Beautiful find.  What is the age of the exposure?

The shrimp comes from the C4 bed Hauterivian about 130 ma.

• I found this Informative 1

Super nice specimen.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Exquisite! I never cease to be amazed at how something so fragile and detailed can be preserved so finely and retain its detail over 70 million years.

Great fossil! :)  :wub: 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What a beauty! I'm unfamiliar with this species and the formation so it was a nice education seeing this. Was this found in this condition or was it in a concretion and the above state the result of some very nice prep work?

Cheers.

-Ken

36 minutes ago, digit said:

What a beauty! I'm unfamiliar with this species and the formation so it was a nice education seeing this. Was this found in this condition or was it in a concretion and the above state the result of some very nice prep work?

It was more or less how you see it the shrimp was in a grey clay boulder in 3 pieces which i have glued together then just cleaned with water and a toothbrush the matrix top layer is soft and washes off leaving a hard layer. ( they don't prep out it would damage it ).

the fossil beds are labelled A bed , B bed , C bed ..... etc the shrimp is from the C bed  and the beds range  from 100/139 ma.

Cheers John

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

I second Ken’s question. Did you find the shrimp exposed this way or did you prep it out? It’s very cool either way and a beautiful specimen worthy of display. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I second Ken’s question. Did you find the shrimp exposed this way or did you prep it out? It’s very cool either way and a beautiful specimen worthy of display. :) 

No pen work needed the shrimp is already exposed , washing it with a toothbrush just reveals a bit more when the softer matrix comes off.

Thank-you for your comments 

John

3 hours ago, t-tree said:

No pen work needed the shrimp is already exposed , washing it with a toothbrush just reveals a bit more when the softer matrix comes off.

Thank-you for your comments 

John

That’s awesome! Very well preserved and beautiful! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Since these are not being prepped out of a harder concretion and seem to be in a relatively soft matrix, I'm guessing these fossils do not last very long once they are exposed in the formation. I'm guessing that in addition to a keen eye to spot these a bit of luck is needed as well to catch these before they weather out too much and break down. The detail (especially on the abdominal segments) is very nice.

Cheers.

-Ken

17 minutes ago, digit said:

Since these are not being prepped out of a harder concretion and seem to be in a relatively soft matrix, I'm guessing these fossils do not last very long once they are exposed in the formation. I'm guessing that in addition to a keen eye to spot these a bit of luck is needed as well to catch these before they weather out too much and break down. The detail (especially on the abdominal segments) is very nice.

Ken

The nodules the shrimps are in/on are phosphatic nodules.You find plenty of roundish ones with no fossil on them and if you break them they are hard and black inside the outer pinkish layer.

Yes a keen eye,luck and knowing where to look helps as in a lot of fossil trips.

Cheers John

12 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Where is the mayonnaise?

Shrimp and mayonnaise!?:sick: Give me the cocktail sauce!:D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

What a beautiful piece, congrats :wub:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

16 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Shrimp and mayonnaise!?:sick: Give me the cocktail sauce!:D

I did have a prawn curry Saturday night :D.

Thank-you everyone for your comments, maybe another one next year :fingerscrossed:.

John

They seem quite similar to the ones from the Isle of Wight are they the same beds?

nice fossil btw:)