Renee351

Anyone know what this might be? I found it in a creek known for aquatic fossils in northern Texas/ Texoma area but I can’t identify at all. Claw, tooth, tusk,...? The black part is hollow 

4BC3707D-D9B5-47CD-BE36-DFA19EAE2979.jpeg

BD9C8C80-30E4-4001-A66A-1B3F65FB5066.jpeg

E54BF32D-002A-45B7-A620-1B402226C14C.jpeg

5880AB81-1F29-44C9-998C-F216386799C5.jpeg

I believe it can be a worn horse tooth. Can I see a cross section of the thicker bit ( the top in the 3rd pic ). Try searching equus sp tooths.

1 hour ago, FossilizedJello said:

I believe it can be a worn horse tooth. Can I see a cross section of the thicker bit ( the top in the 3rd pic ). Try searching equus sp tooths.

The black portion of it is hollow.its actually quite difficult to get a decent picture of.

AD7674E3-CA22-47F2-B635-24477001E79D.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

I cannot see a horse tooth there.  It appears to be an incisor of some sort, but I don't recognize the source.

I agree that it could be an incisor as well. I’ve been searching for 2 days trying to find something similar. 

The enamel seems to extend much higher on the outside of the curve than on the inside.  That is a characteristic of domestic pig incisors.  But this doesn't resemble very closely the incisors I've seen.  I wonder if this isn't a deciduous pig tooth, perhaps a canine (I think there are no deciduous incisors).

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 8/10/2019 at 4:26 PM, Harry Pristis said:

The enamel seems to extend much higher on the outside of the curve than on the inside.  That is a characteristic of domestic pig incisors.  But this doesn't resemble very closely the incisors I've seen.  I wonder if this isn't a deciduous pig tooth, perhaps a canine (I think there are no deciduous incisors).

Definitely gives me a different angle to search. I was unaware that pig teeth did that tho.

So I sent some pictures to a museum to help me identify what this might be.

They suggested a Platygonus. Pretty much a prehistoric pig from the ice age.