Sign in to follow this  
RockCanon

The Royal Tyrrell Museum

RockCanon

I had recommended going through the Royal Tyrrell Museum to a friend from Kansas last year in September and he was very impressed (I wondered if it was just because he couldn't get out and golf in the snow).

This year I went with my 9 year old Granddaughter who didn't sound like she wanted to go. Long story short, we spent a whole day there.

I was sort of surprised when I heard they only have 1/2 of 1 percent of the the collection on display. I can only guess that they have a huge warehouse someplace with the rest of the collection catalogued and stored.

caldigger
3 hours ago, RockCanon said:

I was sort of surprised when I heard they only have 1/2 of 1 percent of the the collection on display.

Many if not most museums are that way.  Just don't have the room to display everything they hold.

That's why you have them rotating/ changing out displays and themes from time to time.

Mark Kmiecik

First of all, hi, and welcome to the forum.

At the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago it's the same story. When you have 500,000 (yes, 1/2 million) bird specimens and 17,000,000 insect specimens you don't need to display them all, especially since most of them are not very exciting to see. Then you figure in all the other animals and plants and fossils and . . . pretty soon you've run out of space. The FMNH is also a research museum where students working on degrees can study specimens, which means that they may have 20,000 specimens of the same species of insect if that species is scientifically significant. And all of these specimens are neatly cataloged, stored and recorded so the exact location of each specimen is easily found. So it's understandable that they wouldn't want to move it all around too frequently. If you display 1/2 of 1% of 750 million specimens that's 37,500 on display. Yeah, that takes a while to view and includes something of interest for everyone. Most of a museum's collection is stored on-site. Some of it is on loan to other institutions and/or research facilities and gets shipped to their locations. You can imagine the kind of challenge it is to keep track of everything. So contribute time and money to your local museum as often as possible. It takes a lot to just keep the doors open, and the Royal Tyrrell is worth keeping open.