Pay to dig in Wyoming and surrounding states?

joshuajbelanger

I will be taking a month long trip across the western states.  I will be leaving Ft. Collins, Colorado on Sunday and traveling to Yellowstone then the Grand Canyon and everything in between.  I’m looking for some good pay to dig fossil quarries.  This will be a long trip, and I plan on stopping at several fossil locations.  Let me know the best ones and where you guys would recommend I go!!!

Utah certainly has its share of fossils.  One pay site that comes to mind is U-Dig which puts you on trilobite laden shale.  Do a search of Utah Fossil sites and you should find other options for no-fee collecting.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Utah certainly has its share of fossils.  One pay site that comes to mind is U-Dig which puts you on trilobite laden shale.  Do a search of Utah Fossil sites and you should find other options for no-fee collecting.

Thank you very much!  

There are several early Eocene Green River fm pay to dig quarries- American, Warfield (aka Fossil Safari) and I believe one more in Kemmerer, Wyoming. There's the U-Dig trilobite quarry in Delta, Utah. And in Florissant there's a spot where you can find late Eocene insects and plants. 

As grandpa said there are other sites in those states with no fees. While I'm not sure where they are in Utah (other than a spot I visited outside of Vernal where I found brachiopods) I went to Douglas Pass where I found some Green River fm. plants and insects.

PM me if you have any questions and good luck in your pursuits.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, I’m actually hitting up both pay to dig spots in Wyoming and Utah.  I’m holding off on the Florissant beds because that can easily just be a weekend trip.  I’m getting excited.  I really would like to meet up with some fossil forum folk. 

Here is my scheduled trip-let me know if anyone lives around these areas!!!  I will come bringing gifts from the Pleistocene!

08FE24CE-0237-4039-9CB6-EBD9E3CBEDAE.png