Fossil plate with echinoderms, making sure I found the correct tag.

nivek1969

Hello. I have still been going through boxes of mostly cave mineral from a large estate sale purchase, mostly consisting of cave minerals. The tags that remain are not attached to the pieces and usually scattered among many boxes. This amazing plate I found recently and believe I finally found the label. I just need justification. I haven't found any other plates like this one. It's stunning in person! 

Fossil plate with sea life 1.JPG

fossil plate with sea life 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

It's stunning in the picture too!

At least you were able to find the label for this one. Hopefully someone will confirm.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It definitely looks like burlington crinoidal limestone to me. I have a lot where I live here in Mo where I've found nice calyxs like yours pictured, but haven't collected Ralls County.

Sorry I can’t help with verifying the tag for the plate, but wow! Beautiful! :wub::envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

The lithology and the species are definitely consistent with the Burlington Formation.  Great plate!!  :wub: :wub: :drool:

Don

how exciting. I would be looking at that through my jewelers loop every day...really cool piece. 

7 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

how exciting. I would be looking at that through my jewelers loop every day...really cool piece. 

I have. It's like the surface of an alien planet, so many very tiny bits not visible in the photo here. I'm smitten with it!