Is this petrified wood?

JMcCarthy

Found this sticking out of a creek bed. The smaller piece was directly under the larger one, but it doesn't appear to have broken off. It just has a similar structure. I can't figure out if it's wood, coral, tooth, horn, etc. We have a little of each around here (just north of Austin, TX) but mostly marine fossils. In 5 years I haven't come across one that looked like this though. Closest thing to the interior structure I've found is bison tooth. Any ideas?

6.JPG

smaller piece.jpg

5.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

It looks like a calcitic stalagmite or stalactite. Any caves or carbonate springs nearby? See if it fizzes in acid.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It looks like a calcitic stalagmite or stalactite. Any caves or carbonate springs nearby? See if it fizzes in acid.

Yes! I don't have any acid but there are caves everywhere around here and the rocks around it look like they were in a cave at one point. I just found a pic of a cross section and its easy to see the similarities inside and out. Thanks, it should have occurred to me.

Capture.JPG

J, I see that you are new to TFF.  Let me extend you a welcome to TFF.  I am also from Austin.  I'd also like to invite you to join the Paleo Society of Austin where you will find a group of good folks of like mind who enjoy talking fossils, hunting fossils, learning about fossils, etc., etc.  It's a fun group and would welcome your participation.

• I found this Informative 1

Some white vinegar ( kitchen stuff ) should give you an indication. It's 5% acidic. 

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

18 hours ago, grandpa said:

J, I see that you are new to TFF.  Let me extend you a welcome to TFF.  I am also from Austin.  I'd also like to invite you to join the Paleo Society of Austin where you will find a group of good folks of like mind who enjoy talking fossils, hunting fossils, learning about fossils, etc., etc.  It's a fun group and would welcome your participation.

Thanks Tom. I just joined. Look forward to meeting you at Fossil Fest in November - if not sooner.

48 minutes ago, JMcCarthy said:

Thanks Tom. I just joined. Look forward to meeting you at Fossil Fest in November - if not sooner.

Welcome aboard.  I look forward to meeting you.

Tom