Kem Kem Theropod Tooth - Carch or Something Else?

Omnomosaurus

I've been wavering back and forth as to whether this is a Carcharodontosaurid tooth, or possibly something else?

The serration shape doesn't immediately scream Carch to me, and the mesial carina extending 2/3 down the mesial face would usually exclude abelisaurids from the mix (along with the concave distal edge).

There does appear to also be a "pinch" at the base, judging by the lighting in the photo and what little can be seen of the cross section (unfortunately, this is the only photo available).

Screenshot_20190810-182328.png.01e5905fdd14dad66fd138a2dfb40683.png

Any input would be great to help me put this one to bed!

6 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

I’d go with carcharodontosaurus @Haravex

Thanks, John! That's probably what it is (the side profile of the tooth definitely fits). It's the serration shape that's had me wondering with this one...they're a lot more rounded than on most Carch teeth I've seen.

* For anyone reading who may be unfamiliar with them, Carch denticles are subject 'B':

Morphological-diversity-of-denticles-in-

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, Omnomosaurus said:

* For anyone reading who may be unfamiliar with them, Carch denticles are subject 'B':

Morphological-diversity-of-denticles-in-

Any idea what the rest of the denticles from A to L represent? Thanks

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

No other views available especially base, might help ID ?  No Interdental sulci present a characteristic of some Carch teeth visible in "B".  I would also expect the distal carina to be fully serrated.  I would  characterize it as a indeterminate theropod which is typical of most KK teeth with the current photos   Another difficult morphology that has yet to be tied to anything specific.  

• I found this Informative 2

thanks! @Troodon

Although there's variations amongst teeth still a good reference to use when looking down a scope on the teeth in my collection.

• I found this Informative 1

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

No other views available especially base, might help ID ?  No Interdental sulci present a characteristic of some Carch teeth visible in "B".  I would also expect the distal carina to be fully serrated.  I would  characterize it as a indeterminate theropod which is typical of most KK teeth with the current photos   Another difficult morphology that has yet to be tied to anything specific.  

No, sorry Troodon, but I'm afraid that's it for available photos. I might end up buying it, just to get a better look.

I hadn't noticed that the distal carina wasn't fully serrated either. Possibly another one for the "mystery" pile.

58 minutes ago, Jaimin013 said:

thanks! @Troodon

Although there's variations amongst teeth still a good reference to use when looking down a scope the teeth in my collection.

Definitely! I've found this and things from a few other papers on Researchgate & Bioone to be super helpful at times.

3 hours ago, Omnomosaurus said:

hadn't noticed that the distal carina wasn't fully serrated either

My bad thought you said distal but you did say medial.  Anyway hard to determine with these photos.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

My bad thought you said distal but you did say medial.  Anyway hard to determine with these photos.

Haha, ah never mind. It is....I wish there was a universal checklist for photographing teeth, so all of our lives would be a little easier!

3 hours ago, Haravex said:

I'm going with theropod indet, for one key reasons there is no wrinkling on the enamel.

Thanks, Haravex. I totally overlooked the enamel! :dinothumb: