Unknown Shark Tooth?

MDPaleoceneGeo

With the tip color, the fish spine looks modern.  Modern spines tend to turn black fairly quickly.  Put it up to your nose and smell it.  A modern spine should still have a slight odor.  If it is flexible, it is modern.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Hey - hope you are well Marco.  It's not flexible. And no smell.   I'll try and take some more pics. 

Here are some more pics Marco and the fossils I found with the fin spine.  Its hard and not flexible. 

20190810_220713.jpg

WIN_20190810_22_09_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20190810_22_12_46_Pro.jpg

3 hours ago, MarcoSr said:

Put it up to your nose and smell it.  A modern spine should still have a slight odor.  If it is flexible, it is modern.

If still in doubt, give it a good healthy lick and tell us if it tastes like decaying fish. :default_rofl:

* Disclaimer: joking members not responsible for lingering nasty taste in your mouth. Please don't actually do this.

10 hours ago, MDPaleoceneGeo said:

Here are some more pics Marco and the fossils I found with the fin spine.  Its hard and not flexible. 

20190810_220713.jpg

I'm still leaning toward modern on the fish spine.  I have hundreds of fossil fish spines from MD/VA and none of them show what looks like close to original bone color on the tip.  Also I see lots of modern fish material along the MD/VA rivers that is mostly black with small areas or tinges of original white or  yellow bone color.  That being said, some of the colors of your other teeth don't match the colors of teeth that I'm used to finding in the MD Cretaceous or Paleocene  or the VA Paleocene which usually tend to be black or different shades of green or gray.

I don't see anything unique enough in your specimens to be able to date them to an Epoch although I do see numerous internal shell casts like the one in your picture in a number of Paleocene sites in MD/VA.  You need to give at least some site location information for better age determination.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png