Help with ?Fossil Identification

A Nader

Hello All!

My husband and I are building a home in Central Kentucky (Frankfort) and have been finding a plethora of agate, jasper and geodes. I found some odd looking "rock" that I was puzzled about. It looks a lot like a scapula maybe, is very porous looking under the microscope and is very heavy. When I put my tongue to it, it sticks.  The specimen is about 5 inches by 3 inches. Here are the photos:  I would greatly appreciate any input anyone has for me.

Thank you,

Annette

IMG_1008.JPG

scapula 2.JPG

scapula 3.JPG

Edited by A Nader
additional information

16 minutes ago, A Nader said:

I found some odd looking "rock"

Welcome to the Fossil Forum.  You've come to the right place to get answers to questions like these.  My first impression is that you are correct, you've found an odd looking rock.  I'm not seeing the texture that would indicate a bone, but from the shape I understand why you might come to that conclusion.  As you continue to follow TFF, you will have a chance to see many examples of bone samples and gain an understanding of what fossilized bone looks like.  Again Welcome! and continue to bring questions to us.

• I found this Informative 2

We may be able to rule out bone if this was found in situ from a bedrock exposure, as Frankfort sits atop rocks that are Ordovician in age:

kygeo.jpg 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 hours ago, A Nader said:

When I put my tongue to it, it sticks.

Fine example of just how useless that test is. 

Hello and welcome to the forum! I’m a little south and west of you in Elizabethtown  Kentucky (Etown if you are local ;) ). 

Your find is not a fossilized bone I’m afraid. :( Very few fossils in Kentucky are. Most are ancient sea life as Kentucky was a sea floor for much of the time. The most notable exception being things found in the area of Big Bone Lick.

The sedimentary rock found here tends to erode very easily and create some strange and unusually looking pieces that one might interpret as more than they actually are.

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thank you all for your help!  I will definitely try the vinegar trick!  Wayne, true, dat! This is one unusual looking fella. Kane, I understand. In the construction of the house they broke through a layer of shale (with lots of marine fossil). We never did hit bedrock. (Thank God!). I am going to polish up some of the marine fossil slabs (I am a retired physician and part time jeweler so I have the tools) and see what is there. I plan to use the agate, jasper and geodes in some cool looking jewelry. 

16 minutes ago, A Nader said:

Thank you all for your help!  I will definitely try the vinegar trick!  Wayne, true, dat! This is one unusual looking fella. Kane, I understand. In the construction of the house they broke through a layer of shale (with lots of marine fossil). We never did hit bedrock. (Thank God!). I am going to polish up some of the marine fossil slabs (I am a retired physician and part time jeweler so I have the tools) and see what is there. I plan to use the agate, jasper and geodes in some cool looking jewelry. 

Show us the results please

47 minutes ago, A Nader said:

I would wager the shale would also be Ordovician in age, too. You're in an enviable spot for finding some incredible Ordovician fossils!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice coral!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

4 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Also called horn coral for obvious reasons.

I call them something not so nice as one site I frequent they are ridiculously abundant :P

4B7C7A44-DDB6-4DA3-A196-1CD27656FFA0.jpeg