AnnW

Hi, I found this in near Sparta Kentucky. Anyone care to identify/ date? Found on a construction site so I couldn't tell you exactly where the layer was.

20190811_085831.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The stars are most likely crinoid disk impressions.

I am on a phone too. Double click on the photo to see better version where stars are visible.

@JohnBrewer

0F94DCBE-3899-413A-A79F-593EF5AADEAF.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

25 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Sure

But did you notice the ones on the other side of the nautiloid with 7-fold, 8 fold and tmtc symmetry.  I'm not seeing "crinoid".  Educate me, what am I missing?

Probably a long shot, but since crinoid is being questioned...

Since the plate has bryozoa in it, maybe the star shapes are something along the lines of a  Constellaria bryozoan monticules just peeking through the surface? 

I haven’t checked the morphology so probably way off base. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

26 minutes ago, grandpa said:

But did you notice the ones on the other side of the nautiloid with 7-fold, 8 fold and tmtc symmetry.  I'm not seeing "crinoid".  Educate me, what am I missing?

To be honest I can't see them well enough to be sure. Cirri in whorls of four is common though.

It could also be a tabulate coral colony. They seemed a bit too small, but the shape could well be a better fit. 

Wen I looked for a photo of the tabulate I was thinking of this rugose came up. Even better ?

IMG_0331 a.jpg

59 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

To be honest I can't see them well enough to be sure.

Thanks for the honest response.  I was afraid I was really missing something in my education for a moment.  :unsure:

3 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Thanks for the honest response.  I was afraid I was really missing something in my education for a moment.  :unsure:

I do have a habit of overplaying the hand I guess. Instigates some good discussion sometimes though. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I do have a habit of overplaying the hand I guess. Instigates some good discussion sometimes though. 

I too am no stranger to the "Ready!  Fire!  Aim!" self-inflicted wounding.  Takes integrity to own it when you find you've made that error.  Thanks  :thumbsu: