Texas marine cretaceous creek fossil

Creek - Don

Hello everyone, 

I've been doing some creek fossils hunting in Dallas area recently and came across/found numerous bones in pieces. Not sure what the5d5025cc0716f_cottonwoodcreek.JPG.a998beaf18fd22d32a0c20a7d03c6a6a.JPGse vertebrate bones these belongs to, but they are 12 inches or smaller and looks like mostly arm or leg bones.  These animal used to swim, crawl around here around 140 to 66 million years ago.  Buried in  Eagle Ford Shale or Austin Chalk limstone layers about 10 to 20 feet down from top to bottom in the creek layers.  

Cotton creek fossil.JPG

Capture.JPG

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

They look quite interesting, but I am a bit skeptic, that these are bones. But there are many knowledgeable member from Texas here on TFF, eg.

@Uncle Siphuncle, @erose

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz.  There are no rocks at these layer.  When these bones were  found, they were embedded in the clay layer that were mushy when wet and crumbles when dry.   When you tap with rock hammer, other clay particles just t disintegrates, but these will not break.  Also, on the edges, they are like regular bones that has been broken. 

Thanks for extra infos!

7 minutes ago, Creek - Don said:

they are like regular bones that has been broken.

Would you like to post some end-on pics? Thank you!

If these are really bones, this could be a significant find! 
Franz Bernhard

Welcome to the Forum.

The rocks look somewhat like the Atco Formation which is at the bottom of the Austin Group because of the small dark phosphatic? clasts. 

Although the shape is suggestive of bones, we need to see clearer photos that can be magnified in order to see if bone is present. If not bones, they could be burrows. Are you able to take photos of the ends of the “bones” through a hand lens?

Consider taking them to the meeting for the Dallas Paleontological Society. They should be able to look for bone with a hand lens.

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks.    I'm getting hand lens ordered.  Will take few photos when it arrives. 

I agree with DPS Ammonite and Caldigger that these look like burrow casts.  I recall that I came to the same conclusion when I found my first burrow casts; I was sure they were bones. 

The Dallas Paleo Society certainly has the expertise to verify your finds, so I would echo DPS Ammonite's recommendation.  And finally, I see that you are a new member to TFF, so let me extend a welcome from Austin.

• I found this Informative 4

Burrows would be my guess as well.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I have hunted in the Dallas area in both eagle ford/Austin chalk layers near the muddy/clay bits and have found many burrow casts that I would have sworn were bones.

Here are a few samples from my last trip. They look quite similar to what you have, and were found where yours were.

61600960-7EAE-4F4E-98C4-072B622F2DD1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I'm seeing trace fossils. Not uncommon for them to be filled with a harder matrix than the surrounding sediment.  But, I would still take them to the DPS meeting since photos only go so far toward an identification. Getting it into the actual hands of some knowledgable folks is best.

• I found this Informative 3