Gerard Case’s “A Pictorial Guide to Fossils”

The Jersey Devil

Hi everybody,

I have a question about this book. There are two versions of it. One of them has an ammonite on the cover and the other has a Meg tooth on it. What are the differences between the two books and which one is more recommended?

Thanks!

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Per Abe Books, the ammonite covered book was published in 1982; the shark tooth covered book in 1992.

Google Books lists both books as 515 pages and the 1992 edition as an illustrated reprint. 

https://books.google.com/books/about/A_Pictorial_Guide_to_Fossils.html?id=8pXuAAAAMAAJ&source=kp_book_description

Further research might reveal their differences.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I do not believe any substantial changes were made to the second edition. It was paperback as compared to the original bound hard back.  I still use this book on occasion. It was fairly well done and at the time (80's-90's) a great resource. It would make a fine addition to any paleo library. IMHO

When I was still living in NY and hunting Big Brook regularly it wasn't uncommon to get back to the car and find that Gerry had been there stuffing fliers promoting the book under windshield wipers. 

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks guys!

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

By the way guys; Jerry is still at it and working at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Sciences in Jackson. His Elizabethtown paper has just been published recently. Apologies if this information has been posted elsewhere.

Vertebrate Anatomy Morphology Palaeontology 7:69–82 69

ISSN 2292-1389

Middle Campanian Euselachian Diversity of the Southern

Region of the Atlantic Coastal Plain of North America

Gerard R. Case1, Todd D. Cook*,2, Taylor Kightlinger2, and Paul D. Borodin3

1Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, 2148 Riverside Drive, Jackson, MS 39202-1353, USA,

caseodus@gmail.com

2School of Science, Penn State Behrend, 4205 College Drive, Erie, PA, 16563-0203, USA, tdc15@psu.edu,

tak5236@psu.edu

3488 Spauldingwood Road, Little River, SC, 29566-8023, USA, pborodin@aol.com

Published July 31, 2019

*corresponding author. © 2019 by the authors

submitted July 25, 2018; revisions received May 26, 2019;

accepted July 2, 2019. Handling editor: Alison Murray.

DOI 10.18435/vamp29345

Abstract: A euselachian assemblage from the middle Campanian Bladen Formation, located near Elizabethtown,

Bladen County, North Carolina, USA, is described. The assemblage consists of 18 species from 17 genera, at least 14

families, and seven orders, and introduces the new taxon Cantioscyllium clementsi sp. nov. The recovered Squatina,

Plicatoscyllium, and six lamniform species had large cosmopolitan distributions, whereas the new ginglymostomatid

species and remaining hybodontid and batoid taxa were likely endemic to the waters of North America.

http://zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:3AE747B1-ABB1-45B5-8CE8-EDEDB3459C84

• I found this Informative 5

That link comes up "not secure" and it won't open for me.  Probably they just have not updated their security certificate, and my University's firewall is blocking access.

Don