Need help identifying

oh_joy50

Hello. My name is Joy and I know I will find this forum very useful. I am learning about how to spot fossils and may need help from time to time. 

I found this today here in Katy in a pile of rocks near a flower bed and would really like your input on what I am looking at. 

Thank you for your time and expertise. 

20190811_111337.jpg

Joy, would you mind taking a shot of it straight on and not at an oblique angle?

I am getting a Karst ( cave formation ) feeling on this.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hello Joy and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  Other  pictures may prove me incorrect, but from what I can tell, I believe what you have is a piece of banded chert showing an erosion pattern which results from the bands being different in hardness and thus some eroding faster than others. 

BTW, you've come to the right place to ask such questions and again, Welcome!

• I found this Informative 2

I would like to see the sides, all four, and the bottom.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Huge and friendly welcome! I'm in Houston now but I was born and raised in Katy. I hope you stick around. This is a great board and everyone here is very helpful :)

Still liking my odds.  Those half-moon shaped divots along the right edge of the specimen in the 1st photo of your latest round of photos say conchoidal cleavage to me - again a feature of chert.

• I found this Informative 1

Unfortunately, I don’t think you have a fossil. I’m not up enough on my geology to say for sure what it is (although I do like grandpa’s assessment of banded chert)  but it’s a cool geological piece to be sure. Just not a fossil. 

Oh... and... Hello and welcome to the forum! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Hey, i am not exactly sure what type of rock but I have seen it before. As others said maybe chert, maybe a sandstone of sorts.