A possible cat claw?

Darko

Hi guys!

I have something new here and it's very interesting, i think i found a cat claw. You already know that i found in my garden many stuff from Neolithic Vinca culture, such as figurines, pottery, stones tools, microliths and animal bones and teeth as well. So again, i found some cool bones as this claw, but i'm unsure if it belongs to some bigger carnivorous mammal. I compared it with Felis silvestris  claw core but it's bigger. I don't know much about carnivorous mammals from Neolithic period but i think that they are the same as today like wolves, bears, lynx, jackals ... If someone would like to help me out identifying this claw it would be much appreciated. Btw, near the claw is i believe some paw bone as well ... Both are quite small and smaller than this battery which i put as a scale :D .

Please help !

Darko

IMG_0251[1].JPG

IMG_0250[1].JPG

IMG_0244[1].JPG

IMG_0247[2].JPG

IMG_0249[1].JPG

IMG_0248[1].JPG

PUkGCSgeHZduXNC-800x450-noPad.jpg?153013 

Without getting into whether one should declaw cats or not, as a veterinarian, I have preformed the surgery many times. The post op results look  similar enough  to your post for me to wonder if it is. The opposite end of the hook should be BONE. Not sure if this is obvious in your find???

Mike

7 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

PUkGCSgeHZduXNC-800x450-noPad.jpg?153013 

Without getting into whether one should declaw cats or not, as a veterinarian, I have preformed the surgery many times. The post op results look  similar enough  to your post for me to wonder if it is. The opposite end of the hook should be BONE. Not sure if this is obvious in your find???

Mike

Sadly i can't see what u posted here, can't see the image... If u could somehow send it again. Yeah, if you mean the sharp part of the "Claw" then it is a bone.

2 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Doesn't appear to me to be a claw core.

clawcores.jpg

What can be then?

Could be a suggestively shaped rock. You could provide clearer, better lit photos as was requested above.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Could be a suggestively shaped rock. You could provide clearer, better lit photos as was requested above.

One thing is for sure, it's not a rock. I will try to take better photos later.

Thank you! these are much better pictures. I'm left scratching my head though. These photos make it look much more rock like... But in does look very feline to me. Can we get a few different angels? I'm wanting to try to get a view of it to see the taper of the "claw" from all sides if possible.

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, El_Hueso said:

Thank you! these are much better pictures. I'm left scratching my head though. These photos make it look much more rock like... But in does look very feline to me. Can we get a few different angels? I'm wanting to try to get a view of it to see the taper of the "claw" from all sides if possible.

In a sec! 

IMG_0330.JPG

Thanks!! These are fantastic photos. The more I look at it, the more rocklike it seems. Perhaps it's just heavily weathered though. I am unfamiliar with how claw cores fossilize versus the keratin portion of a claw, so maybe that is what's giving it the stoney appearance. Once again though, that's just what it looks like to me and I'm probably wrong. Id wait for a more knowledgeable member to share his impute on your specimen. 

5 hours ago, El_Hueso said:

Thanks!! These are fantastic photos. The more I look at it, the more rocklike it seems. Perhaps it's just heavily weathered though. I am unfamiliar with how claw cores fossilize versus the keratin portion of a claw, so maybe that is what's giving it the stoney appearance. Once again though, that's just what it looks like to me and I'm probably wrong. Id wait for a more knowledgeable member to share his impute on your specimen. 

Thank you :)

I still think better pictures are needed but I took the liberty of zooming in. I hope you don’t mind. 

A6F506DD-B921-498A-9F33-FC019790ACE0.jpeg

4766C680-76FA-4C26-8BE4-96EBA19D86B6.jpeg

0C5DF840-0880-4AC1-9375-EDA3C628FC7C.jpeg

69B9890A-4EFB-4B0B-B9F1-B7F496DC196C.jpeg