Sea-urchin-like spines from Monmouth County NJ (Big Brook)?

njenthusiast

Finally getting round to identifying some finds from over the years at different sections of Big Brook, NJ. 

I'm going to try and post them in separate topics.

The white sea urchin spine is distinctive, but what are these other things? They have similar dots in lines, but the lines are much more spread apart. See that they have pointed ends and one has a wider end. They are about 2-4mm in diameter. Also, any idea or pointers as to what species the Sea Urchin spine could be? I haven't found an easy identification guide on the web yet. 

s3rGVch.jpg

arJ6TA7.jpg

afects5.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  I believe you have some crustacean claw tips there.  Not sure if crab or shrimp, but others should be able to give further ID.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

I agree with claws - probably ghost shrimp.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The white thing you’re talking about really is an urchin spine, nice. It will be impossible to ID it to species because basically all the urchin tests are missing the spines.

The others are ghost shrimp pincers.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

• 2 years later...

Found these too and just identified them from some obscure site. The good NJ and Big Brook Websites with the great ID pics do not mention them at all.  I thought they were Phragmocones at first until I magnified and seen the different pattern! So exciting!