Possible Thoracosaurus (crocodile) Scute? - Big Brook NJ

njenthusiast

Ten bucks on man made.  Well, not really. I mean I don’t have ten bucks to bet on anything. But if I did have ten bucks....

Just now, erose said:

Ten bucks on man made.  Well, not really. I mean I don’t have ten bucks to bet on anything. But if I did have ten bucks....

haha what sort of man-made thing could it be though? The only man-made things I've found in Big Brook are forgotten sunglasses and flip-flops - oh and glass shards :o

5 hours ago, njenthusiast said:

what sort of man-made thing could it be though?

An adhesive cement like used on ceramic tile.

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

It is a piece of shell that has been almost completely bored by Chione sponges.

Don

You're sure now ? @erose might just come up with a saw buck. :)

It isn’t a Croc osteoderm or anything Cliona/Clam bored, so yeah, man made.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

I'm with @FossilDAWG on this one. That looks way more like a bit of Cliona-bored oyster than anything manmade I've seen.

This is getting deep.

What kind of shell would it be ? The texture has too many tiny pores that seem to be isolated like bubbles in cement to me. 

The shapes look too much like attached pneu structures to have been coincidentally bored by sponges as well. 

I think it's the back that is making people like myself think it's man made. The section I highlighted looks to me like adhesive or paint when it settles down on a pain pan from the hardware store.

plaster.png

On 8/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, njenthusiast said:

haha what sort of man-made thing could it be though? The only man-made things I've found in Big Brook are forgotten sunglasses and flip-flops - oh and glass shards :o

I once found a colonial era jar near there. Didn't know what it was and left it on a tree. After I got home we found a picture of an almost identical example. The boys had quite a laugh at my expense.

Once found a shovel scoop there in the stream. I used it for fossil hunting for about two years then lost it at Brownie's Beach in Calvert Cliffs.

I have seen native American arrow heads that came from Big Brook too.

Definitely isn’t Cliona, completely wrong texture and pattern seen in first pic.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Here is a more detailed explanation of how I see it forming.

One or both surfaces has the cement spread  on it with a trowel of some sort. This process introduces many small/tiny bubbles. The two surfaces are pressed together trapping some air bubbles which act as nucleoli for the next step. For what ever reason (warping, settling, uneven surface) the gap then expands, the somewhat elastic cement being pulled into the attached pneu structure seen here.

I don't know guys but it looks like cliona to me too...add some stream action (or weather) to those borings and you get some cool patterns..  here is one on an Exogyra.

IMG_20190813_195034.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

16 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

some cool patterns.

Cool maybe, but no pneu. That structure still needs to be explained.

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Cool maybe, but no pneu. That structure still needs to be explained.

Hmmmm... how about something like this, worn down a little more.

IMG_20190813_205738.jpg

On 2019-08-12 at 4:43 AM, Rockwood said:

An adhesive cement like used on ceramic tile.

lol I HATE man made....especially cement....sometimes it looks REALLY NEAT heheh

IMG_4994.JPG

2 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

I don't know guys but it looks like cliona to me too...add some stream action (or weather) to those borings and you get some cool patterns..  here is one on an Exogyra.

IMG_20190813_195034.jpg

Yeah I have quite the exogera collection and I think I might concur. River wash can make some interesting things and also make identification hard, sooo many things I've found like that but can't prove it 

Haha wow this thread really got going! Yes there were lots of shells like that lying around in the mud/silt so I think it is highly likely its a fragment instead. 

Gotta go back and find a real croc scute :P

The color and shine of the Exogyra that Frank posted is very different from the piece in question. It doesn’t give off any shine, is tan, and also the pattern is too even.

• I found this Informative 3

8 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

The color and shine of the Exogyra that Frank posted is very different from the piece in question. It doesn’t give off any shine, is tan, and also the pattern is too even.

I concur. It just solidifies my opinion that the piece in question is some hard plaster or something...