Need help identifying this jaw bone with tooth please

Murman

My wife found this piece of jaw bone on the beach while on vacation last month at Topsail Island, NC. At first I thought it belonged to a shark, but upon closer examination, the tooth doesn't resemble any of the hundreds of shark teeth I have found in the past. Any help identifying this fossil would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

20190811_211820.jpg

20190811_211952.jpg

Hi there, you have what remains of the side 'cusp' of the tooth. I'm not familiar with Topsail but I 'think' it is Oligocene sediments (Belgrade and River Bend formations mentioned in the post I've attached) that would lead toward a tooth like Otodus (C.) angustidens. Like this ... found on the same beach.

Angustidens.jpg.3d31c9fb30f73c59e8d8c7cbef5273f6.jpg

Here is the thread ... you can also search for Topsail and Auriculatus or Angustidens and see more examples.

Image Credit: Fossil Guy

carcharocles_ang_id.jpg.a5b7bdc4cee879c289e1d78a9e030f53.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with Brett and was going to post a similar response until I saw his post.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow, you guys are good! I'm not quite as excited with her discovery now that I know it's only a fragment, but it's a great discovery all the same. Thanks for the clarification.