Marine tooth

MrBones

Hello. I found this tooth on the beach today. I think it might be from a whale or a seal, not quite sure. I do not think it is fossilized, but you guys might know what it is.20190812_172631.thumb.jpg.c3bd06ef679cdb6ee9fafd38998b6821.jpg

20190812_172522.thumb.jpg.476df1e6eafb0fe52ae6cf740c7d9970.jpg20190812_172554.thumb.jpg.83457e123afd6c24adb4b0b10eb6b0b8.jpg

Not 100% sure, not really my area, but it does definitely appear to be some sort of cetacean tooth. The size and shape of the root makes me think predatory whale rather than seal but I could be wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

No seals live in the NW Indian Ocean or the Persian gulf, so that's an easy one to discount! I think this is a dolphin tooth that appears unusually rounded because of 1) a wear facet seen in one of the photos and 2) a bit of dental erosion around the base of the crown/emergent part of the root. Dolphins suffer from dental erosion towards the back of the mouth because they still have a forestomach.

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, Boesse said:

No seals live in the NW Indian Ocean or the Persian gulf, so that's an easy one to discount! I think this is a dolphin tooth that appears unusually rounded because of 1) a wear facet seen in one of the photos and 2) a bit of dental erosion around the base of the crown/emergent part of the root. Dolphins suffer from dental erosion towards the back of the mouth because they still have a forestomach.

Sorry, forgot to mention I found it in South Africa. Almost everyone I showed it to said it looks like a tooth from a BIG seal.