Any idea what this is?

Kabakap

Hello!
This (potential?) fossil was found down at lake Huron by Goderich Ontario, Canada.
It was given to me by someone else because the pattern is reminiscent of a spider web. I'm more of an arachnid collector than a fossil collector, so I have no idea where to begin with this one!

I hoped someone would have an idea of what it is, if it's a fossil at all!

It's about 1 inch and 1/3rd in diameter, and roughly one half 2/3rds of an inch 'tall' when laid flat. It may be difficult to tell from the images, but the 'front' dips inwards towards the center. I hope that helps in addition to the images.

fossil3.jpg

fossil2.jpg

fossil1.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Very nice! This is a fragment of a large solitary rugose coral (aka horn coral) of paleozoic age. Other members may provide a more detailed determination.

Btw, did you notice this one ;):

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

Just to provide you some additional information, this would be from the Devonian, likely from the Dundee Formation. These are quite abundant in much of southwestern Ontario given that, during the Devonian period, this area was an expansive coral reef situated south of the equator. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

15 hours ago, Kabakap said:

arachnid collector

Welcome to the forum. I was when I was a kid I was arachnid collector . I had one Brachypelma vagans Tarantula for about 18 years. There  is on the forum a space for members to show their  hobbies. If you have the time I think it would be an nice diversion for the forum to view some of your collection. All the best Bobby