Sign in to follow this  
Ptychodus04

May 1919 Nat Geo

Ptychodus04

A coworker gave me a copy of the May 1919 edition of The National Geographic Magazine that he found in an antique store in Boston.

It has an article about collecting fossils in Alberta by Barnum Brown. Unfortunately, somebody must have liked 2 of the pictures in the article as the pages are missing. Still, it’s a cool old magazine that is in really great shape for its age.

35A0BA90-FFF4-4EFA-911C-483E090820D3.thumb.jpeg.9aa4f97a07c12f6ccb48f2b2d8ccef75.jpeg

DPS Ammonite

If the makers of the Hindenburg had read the article, “Helium, the New Balloon Gas”, we might not have remembered the Hindenburg.

Ptychodus04
29 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

If the makers of the Hindenburg had read the article, “Helium, the New Balloon Gas”, we might not have remembered the Hindenburg.

The US had a monopoly on helium and would not allow its export due to fears of its use for military purposes, thus the floating hydrogen bomb waiting to happen. Oddly enough, It was only recently that I learned that the accident happened in New Jersey. Kind of substandard scholarship on my part I must admit.

RJB

Cool magazine.  I used to collect these.  Takes a lot of room to have a collection of National Geo.  Got rid of them back in the 90's. 

RB

caldigger

And the older ones didn't have cover pictures so it was much harder to distinguish one issue from another without reading the list of articles on the cover page. :wacko:

siteseer
On 8/13/2019 at 5:02 AM, RJB said:

Cool magazine.  I used to collect these.  Takes a lot of room to have a collection of National Geo.  Got rid of them back in the 90's. 

RB

Hi RB,

A lot of people used to collect old Nat Geo's but they ran into the same problem.  Some of them were horrified at the resale value; many were just happy to clear some space.  The result: many used bookstores sell them for a few dollars per issue or cheaper - even the ones from the early 20th century.

Jess

RJB
7 hours ago, siteseer said:

A lot of people used to collect old Nat Geo's but they ran into the same problem.  Some of them were horrified at the resale value; many were just happy to clear some space.  The result: many used bookstores sell them for a few dollars per issue or cheaper - even the ones from the early 20th century.

Exactly.   My collection spanned from 1905 to the present day back then with only a few missing.  Gave them away to the local soup kitchen.  They had lots to read after I came and went.  

RB

caldigger
1 minute ago, RJB said:

Exactly.   My collection spanned from 1905 to the present day back then with only a few missing.  Gave them away to the local soup kitchen.  They had lots to read after I came and went.  

RB

That was a great gesture to gift them to a worthy cause.  Thank you for doing that!

RJB
Just now, caldigger said:

That was a great gesture to gift them to a worthy cause.  Thank you for doing that!

I give once a year.  That was a bit more then my usual donation of food though. 

RB